Need a measurement

GreyFox

GearHead
Ride
Rocket III
Could one of you gents measure the distance from the front crash bar mount to the outside of the bar? Would like to mount some bars but modded controls may not benefit from a tip over if they won't cover them. Dealer doesn't carry them- no one around. Thanks.

Here are the Triumph bars. It would be difficult to give you a measurement because I have no idea from what point to measure plus the bottom of the bars taper in towards the bike. These photos may help or maybe you can tell me from what point to where to measure.

Looking at your pics of forward controls the Triumph bars will come close to protecting the brake and shifter but the foot pegs will be outside. That's my POV. The Rivco bar will cover neither. BTW, those forward controls are TOPS! The pegs, being able to fold, should be rather safe. Are the shifter and brake pedals folding as well? You've described the controls being 5" forward?

Last edited:
P5254125.JPG

P5254127.JPG

P5254131.JPG

Pictures really help, my shaky hands are holding the tape at the mounting bolt for the brake and shifter (have changed them from earlier), and engine case for peg. Too close to call a comfortable fit I believe. Concern of course is clearance for brake and shifter inside of bar. Wife says if I get it any wider she will loose the carport, pipes are still the widest point. Thanks for the help.

added: Foot peg center is 5 inches forward from original and 2 inches higher, no folding shifter or brake peg.

Last edited:
The last picture tells all.

Your last picture is the 'telling' picture. I'll have to measure the Rivco bars tomorrow, but, I don't believe the Triumph OEM bars will clear your shifter assembly. Neither the Rivco nor the OEM bar will offer any protection to the forward controls, they stick out way too much. Offhandedly, the Rivco bars offer about 8" of protection, a bit less than the OEM bars but the Rivco bars are substantially more rigid than the OEM bars and that's why I went with Rivco. At some point I plan to add a set of highway pegs, probably ones I make myself as I don't care much for the ones commercially available. Besides, mine will be manufactured in the USA, in my own machine shop.

If the bike rolls on it's side, it will ucker your forward controls, they will contact Terra firma before any tip over bars will and they look bendable.

I'd go for the not dropping it route if it were me, Fox. I tried that last year and its a lot like licking a hot skillet, while it looks like a lot of fun, it ain't. May wanna buy spares to just in case, or have a local fabricator make you up some crash bars and have them chromed. Hmmm, more custom stuff, it never ends, does it?

Back