My first experience with the high idle problem and TuneECU...

When you check the voltage on the secondary throttle position sensor you do that on the diagnostic page. And you push the secondaries closed then check the voltage. If yours is a 06 and has never jad the Primary TPS changed. Get a new one and your priblem will be solved. Yours is the old style that failed over time.
That's the part of the secondary check I don't get. After running the 2nd Throttle test in TuneECU, the secondaries are not fully closed. If I try to push on them the stepper motor fights back to stop the close. However, if I just turn on the ignition without running the test they appear to be fully closed and status show about .6V. New primary TPS is in the mail!

Ok never tride it that way. The secondary test in my opinion test the motor. I say this because there is no part when setting the secondary TPS there is no spot where the ecu adapts to the parameters like in the ISCV reset. Plus the section on replacing the secondary TPS doesn't tell you to test the throttle stepper motor. It does mention having a assistant hold them shut. Another thing i've also noticed is well how many if the secondary tps units fail ? Like next to none!!
Of course the motly open to 100% and close when in what neutral? Not much movement that way which adds to not much wear.

Man I got to get rid of that extra house I've been working on so I can play with Rockets again. Maybe pick up a dyno to play with instead of a other bike :)

Ok never tride it that way. The secondary test in my opinion test the motor. I say this because there is no part when setting the secondary TPS there is no spot where the ecu adapts to the parameters like in the ISCV reset. Plus the section on replacing the secondary TPS doesn't tell you to test the throttle stepper motor. It does mention having a assistant hold them shut. Another thing i've also noticed is well how many if the secondary tps units fail ? Like next to none!!
Of course the motly open to 100% and close when in what neutral? Not much movement that way which adds to not much wear.

Man I got to get rid of that extra house I've been working on so I can play with Rockets again. Maybe pick up a dyno to play with instead of a other bike :)
Do you think I should replace the secondary TPS anyway, while things are apart? The primary will be going in soon. At this point I have the gas tank off (a different problem - fuel level sensor) and the intake plenum off. Do I need to remove the throttle bodies to replace either of the TPS pots? Thanks!

Do you think I should replace the secondary TPS anyway, while things are apart? The primary will be going in soon. At this point I have the gas tank off (a different problem - fuel level sensor) and the intake plenum off. Do I need to remove the throttle bodies to replace either of the TPS pots? Thanks!

Don't waste your money on the secondary TPS. It doesn't get used as much as the primary. I've owned 3 Rockets and never had a bad secondary. The primary TPS is on the rear of #3 throttle body. You can change it with the tank propped up. Don't over torque it. Memory is foggy but I believe it was 2 to 3 Nm. If your tank is completely off, that's even easier. Give all the vacuum lines and vacuum pot caps a look over for dry rotting. Pull on the port plug caps and when they stretch look for spiderweb cracks. Be careful with the 3-1 plastic connector. It connects one hose from each throttle body to a large hose going to the ap sensor.

Don't waste your money on the secondary tps it doesn't get used as much as the primary. Ive owned 3 rockets and never had a bad secondary. The primary tps is on the rear of #3 throttle body. You can change it with the tank propped up. Don't over torque it. Memory is foggy but I believe it was 2 to 3 nm. If your tank is completley off thats even easier. Give all the vacuum lines and vacuum pot caps a look over for dry rotting. Pull on the port plug caps and when they stretch look for spider webb cracks. Be carefull with the 3-1 plastic connector. It connects one hose from each throttle body to a large hose going to theap sensor.
Thanks for the tips... I stupidly bought both TPS units thinking the secondary might be bad because I was reading the voltage wrong with TuneECU. So I could put the secondary up for sale, or just put the new one on.

Back