My first experience with the high idle problem and TuneECU...

CrazyLostBoy

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket 3
I have a mostly stock 2006 R3. The only significant change is the CAT box removed with tune flashed at dealer. The bike has been very under-used since 2013, mostly just for 2-Up with my wife. The last time riding was last fall and it began to show the dreaded high idle symptoms. The bike starts and idles fine until after warm up and on the road, when I began to feel the pull of the engine coming to a stop where the idle is hanging at about 2000 rpm.

I did some research here and see it is likely a TPS and/or stepper problem. I have TuneEcu (old PC version) and cable and have run the "Adjust ISCV" tests. Basically, the Primary TPS is testing good within tolerance showing closed 0.59 volts and open 0.71 volts.

I am a little confused about procedure and what to expect on the secondary TPS voltage check. I think the spec for fully closed secondary is .60 +/-. When I first hookup TuneEcu with ignition switch on, the secondary throttle status on the diagnostics page shows ~0.62, in the range. I then go to the "Tests" page and run the "2nd throttle" command and the secondaries move open and then closed as expected. Back to Diagnostics page and the status shows 0.71 volts like it is not fully closed. Turn the bike off and back on and that 2nd throttle status will show .62 volts again. What should I be looking for here??

A first look at my test results would indicate I really don't have a problem, but we know I do. From other threads I have seen some comments about how the primary TPS can hang after being operated in normal ride rpm ranges. The age of the bike would indicate I have the old "bad" TPS although I have not yet pulled it off to look. So I plan to replace it anyway. Also folks have indicated the secondary TPS generally don't cause the high idle problem. I have not yet cleaned the stepper motor, but it does not look very dirty.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a mostly stock 2006 R3. The only significant change is the CAT box removed with tune flashed at dealer. The bike has been very under-used since 2013, mostly just for 2-Up with my wife. The last time riding was last fall and it began to show the dreaded high idle symptoms. The bike starts and idles fine until after warm up and on the road, when I began to feel the pull of the engine coming to a stop where the idle is hanging at about 2000 rpm.

I did some research here and see it is likely a TPS and/or stepper problem. I have TuneEcu (old PC version) and cable and have run the "Adjust ISCV" tests. Basically, the Primary TPS is testing good within tolerance showing closed 0.59 volts and open 0.71 volts.

I am a little confused about procedure and what to expect on the secondary TPS voltage check. I think the spec for fully closed secondary is .60 +/-. When I first hookup TuneEcu with ignition switch on, the secondary throttle status on the diagnostics page shows ~0.62, in the range. I then go to the "Tests" page and run the "2nd throttle" command and the secondaries move open and then closed as expected. Back to Diagnostics page and the status shows 0.71 volts like it is not fully closed. Turn the bike off and back on and that 2nd throttle status will show .62 volts again. What should I be looking for here??

A first look at my test results would indicate I really don't have a problem, but we know I do. From other threads I have seen some comments about how the primary TPS can hang after being operated in normal ride rpm ranges. The age of the bike would indicate I have the old "bad" TPS although I have not yet pulled it off to look. So I plan to replace it anyway. Also folks have indicated the secondary TPS generally don't cause the high idle problem. I have not yet cleaned the stepper motor, but it does not look very dirty.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1239.JPG

The stepper motor actuator arm sits on a spindle. It gets dirty in there and the arm does not want to move freely and makes the bike have this problem. A drop of penetrating oil might loosen it. Lots of oil just collects dust and dirt.

I watched Claviger disconnect the stepper motor to see it that fixed the problem. It did so he recommended taking the stepper actuator arm off. You just have to start the bike and use the throttle to keep it alive since it is the stepper motor that controls idle and start up.

Try that to see if that is a fix. If it does you are in luck.

Last edited:
When you check the voltage on the secondary throttle position sensor you do that on the diagnostic page. And you push the secondaries closed then check the voltage. If yours is a 06 and has never jad the Primary TPS changed. Get a new one and your priblem will be solved. Yours is the old style that failed over time.

When you check the voltage on the secondary throttle position sensor you do that on the diagnostic page. And you push the secondaries closed then check the voltage. If yours is a 06 and has never jad the Primary TPS changed. Get a new one and your priblem will be solved. Yours is the old style that failed over time.

Yeahh it could be a faulty stepper motor too. Disconnect it to see if that fixes your problem. We'll find a motor for you. Scott, could you please revisit the primary and secondary TPS configuration and position for us and exactly where in TuneECU they are checked?

I gave warp9.9 a brand new stepper motor and paid the shipping. Like the guy and hooked him up. For me a stepper motor is a joke. Live down a dirt road and figured out real quick the dust and dirt was not working out for me with the stepper motor. Plus riding in all kinds of weather it just got in the way.

I gave warp9.9 a brand new stepper motor and paid the shipping. Like the guy and hooked him up. For me a stepper motor is a joke. Live down a dirt road and figured out real quick the dust and dirt was not working out for me with the stepper motor. Plus riding in all kinds of weather it just got in the way.

CLB these two guys actually know what they are taking about. I have seen their bikes torn down and reassembled. I'm just trying to help with the little I have learned from them.

Had same symptoms all numbers in tolerance tick over fine go for a ride sometimes 10 mins sometimes 30 mins stick at 2000 revs turn it off and on all ok for a while.Replaced TPS never had a problem since.Had same thing with my KTM new TPS happy days as you got it on order would go there first:thumbsup:

Had same symptoms all numbers in tolerance tick over fine go for a ride sometimes 10 mins sometimes 30 mins stick at 2000 revs turn it off and on all ok for a while.Replaced TPS never had a problem since.Had same thing with my KTM new TPS happy days as you got it on order would go there first:thumbsup:
That's the direction I am going. Just got notice today that the new TPS has shipped. I will also look at a cleaning of the stepper motor and put it back together to check it out after it quits snowing... Thanks!

Back