Do you have a spare stepper on that spare set of TBs? remove the stepper from the spare, plug it into the wire on the bike and see if the light goes out. If so, zip tie it out of the way and forget about. Then ride like the wind!

We can try doing that when you have a chance to visit. I'm scared to mess up the bike again.

Went for short ride today, still not right, pulled the TPS off, see the photo,the top one is a TPS the bike shop sold me a few years ago but problem turned out not to be the TPS so left it in,now
E8521A43-5AE1-46B4-9ED0-22BBBBB51D38.jpeg
I am going put the original one in, the bottom one and see if that makes any difference.
Do the numbers on the two in photo mean anything.

I put the original TPS back in, reset the TPS to specs, went for a ride, it seemed to going better, there was heavy traffic so difficult to do a good test. While I was riding the speedo and tachometer went blank twice and came back on, I guess one of the wiring harness connections I pulled part to clean has not been connected properly.

Does anyone know which connector under the tank powers the speedo and the tachometer.

None, it is a 'continuous' purple wire from fuse #3.

It starts as one single purple wire from fuse #3, but about 8" from the fusebox that single purple wire is crimped to 4 other purple wires (deep inside the harness).
The 4 wires supply the "12v accessory socket" plug that hangs under the left side plastic infill panel, the heated grips socket and the accessory clock socket under the tank, and then the 4th gets crimped to 2 more purple wires around the left side of the headstock.
Those 2 purple wires go up to supply the speedo and tacho plugs.

If you feel your work has disrupted this purple wire somewhere, it would likely be one of those 2 crimped connections, I've seen a couple of them rot and let go once agitated a bit, even leaving make/break connection with varying voltage.

I believe if power to the speedo & tacho drops while running, it will stay running - but it will not start if there is no power to them.

Thanks turbo, when the speedo & tachometer or on they tend to blink, at one time when I wriggling the harness under the tank while the motor was running The speedo & tachometer when on and off, could it be another plug.

Check both the purple wire at crimp u see head stick and the blue can bus wire. That code is probably their as you lost communication to the speedo and rev counter creating a CAN BUS error. It is probably a bad crimp on either the power or can bus wires to instrument cluster

P1690 is from when your clocks died.

With the ignition off, you can set the multimeter to 20v range, put the black probe on the battery -.
Put the red into the purple wire's female pin on the tacho harness plug, you should get 12v. Also agitate your harness while doing this to see if the voltage changes.

Start at the tacho plug and work back to the speedo plug, the heat grips, the accessory clock and the 12v accessory socket plugs.
Finally the underside of fuse #3 both pins.

The method should tell you where along the harness the fault in the purple wire is.
E.g. if all is fine from fuse to heated grips, but the voltage isn't a steady 12.x when you're at the speedo, then you know the fault is between heated grips plug and the speedo plug.

You can open the harness then to physically find the break in the purple.

Back