Yes, the TPS was .64 and .74, jest went back to the bike, turned the ignition switch on and off twice, hit starter button and surprise it started and I’ll=does ok not as high as it normally would when cold, opened the throttle and it responded very nicely. Not confident to go for a ride yet.

What is the correct procedure for checking the TPS, and the adaption reset.

Last edited:
hook up to ECU
double click on the ISPV it will give your TPS reading should be around .60 if its above like you were saying (6.4-7.4)
It will need adjustment with a small star key on the right side of the throttle bodies, loosen a bit and you will be able to move the TPS with
your fingers and notice the TPS reading will go up or down depending on which way you push it hold it at the .60 re tighten (be gentle when tightening it as the TPS is Plastic) if you haven't tightened it up enough you will see the TPS reading change.
then click on ISPV again it you should hear it reset. (think it takes about 15 sec)
then adjust your idle stepper, 6mm ring spanner left and down under the throttle bodies adjust the nut in or out until .72 is achieved
once you have gone through that click reset adaption.

hope this helps

Kenne, thanks, yes adjusting the TPS is my next step, the starting and stopping problem was low fuel, put a few liters in and away it went.
Sorry the TPS and Stepper readings are .64 and .74

Last edited:
I have adjusted the TPS back to .6 and .72, new fuel filter, flushed the fuel tank out, replaced the spark plugs, now give all the electrical connections a good clean and tighten up all the low tension coil wires. Then ride.

My surge issue was only corrected once I followed the advice of the man in the tin shed and disconnected linkage to stepper control and set the rpm where I wanted it. It does go old Skool where you have to manage rpm until warm about a minute or so then she just idles as you set it. This correct my idle surge not trying to say this is your issue possible tps as Steele said, but for me it worked and I like old skool. Twist it

The only issue with that is the Engine Light comes and stays on. Claviger did that mod on my R3. Three TPS changes and countless efforts to solved the surge problems with my R3 were fixed with the "KILLING THE STEPPER MOTOR MOD". Ahhh, take the butterflies off while your at it.

Try putting on a new stepper motor :whitstling:. Good luck resetting the secondary TPS. Mod the idle screw so that it is easy to adjust. Like a spring loaded, longer idle screw or something. Like the Valkyrie.

Enjoy a controllable Rocket.

The only issue with that is the Engine Light comes and stays on. Claviger did that mod on my R3. Three TPS changes and countless efforts to solved the surge problems with my R3 were fixed with the "KILLING THE STEPPER MOTOR MOD". Ahhh, take the butterflies off while your at it.

Try putting on a new stepper motor :whitstling:. Good luck resetting the secondary TPS. Mod the idle screw so that it is easy to adjust. Like a spring loaded, longer idle screw or something. Like the Valkyrie.

Enjoy a controllable Rocket.
No engine light Rick, I did it like Neville said, you leave the stepper motor hooked up and you only remove the linkage.

No engine light Rick, I did it like Neville said, you leave the stepper motor hooked up and you only remove the linkage.
I believe Sonny also does it this way, no stepper motor linkage, no secondaries. I set my idle with cable not adjustment screws on throttle body, idles flawless

I believe Sonny also does it this way, no stepper motor linkage, no secondaries. I set my idle with cable not adjustment screws on throttle body, idles flawless

For those of us that let off the throttle this mod works! Claviger did that mod to mine and it fixed my chronic and recurring surging idle problem too. Bike runs better that ever. Where did you set your idle at once bike was hot?

What did you do with the Check Engine Light? Did you have to remove and adjust the secondary tps to get to the idle screw? Did you have to reset the primary tps after the stepper motor disconnect mod?

Last edited:
Back