This is what i did

start and connect ECU connection light green my TPS light was green
run idle stepper motor reset
reset adaption
then i did the ISPV?? (sorry cant remember what its called)
reset your TPS to .60
click on the ISPV again then set your Idle stepper motor to .72
wait then reset adaption.

Then what i did is straight away do the process again and if your TPS is good it will still be at .60
if it is your stepper motor it will have moved from the .72(mine went down to about .67 or under .70)

I hope this helps for me this was trial and error, it took me a while to figure out what the problem was most info on the forum say TPS so when i changed that out the problem was still there i just figured that those 2 are linked.

had the same issue with mine, hooked it up to ECU TPS green. then it sorted itself for a bit then same problem again. replaced the TPS problem sorted right nah still doing the surging just not as bad replaced the idle stepper motor sorted. bike runs well now. Expensive lesson 3 hund for the stepper motor from the local trumphy stealer, but i do have a spare TPS.
I may not be right but the green light means your connected to the ecu. I say this because if the TPS or the ecu knew it was good or bad they would have a ecu code not a light
The light would be turned on by the ecu after it decided there is a problem.

I to suspect primary TPS, but caution to check it. Along with the throttle cables free play.

Now what happens when one unhooks the stepper motor linkage. The stepper motor still goes thru its start up function. Works fine except the stepper motor never moves the throttle plates which in turn never moves the tps. Do the ecu spends time trying to meet its start up sequence setting everything to do with the temperature out side and might try to increase fuel on cold days. Ok we can do without that and control the throttle by hand.

Hmmm what happens to setting or replacing the TPS? So the TPS voltage is set to .60 volts at zero throttle position. One day I decide to remove the linkage and adjust the throttle closed stop to hold it open more. Now what is the voltage amount the tps is sending to the ecu? What about oh say 3 years from now when your TPS starts fluttering wrong signals to the ecu. Do you go back and reset the throttle stop screw so you can at least set the voltage properly and then go back and remove the linkage again? (Caution because if you don't and change it and it doesn't run quite right and you jack around the throttle stop again moving the voltage on the TPS yet again. How long before you stuff is all whacked out?) Now shall we talk about absolute zero on a machine (machine zero) with a computer then take parts of it so the ecu has a real fun time setting its atmospheric condition zero (call it atmospheric conditions zero which is not quite the definition of incremental) because its 100 degrees out, dang what does the ecu do or try to do if its cold outside.?

Also not trying to undo anything the man in the tin shed says as he is like EF Hutton . When he speaks I listen. The same for our resident electrical genius Ken, or when Blaine post. I read, think, read again and think more!!!!
Anyway time for my second cup :)

Last edited:
Some have suggested setting the TPS a tad higher, but with the same difference between the two readings. e.g. .62 & .74 This could be worth a try.

The way to test the TPS is to set it correctly - then all should work well. If the problem returns in a reasonably short time, then it is probably a faulty TPS.

I suspect that the TPS is causing this problem, but make sure that everything is clean, and lubricated if it need to be. Things such as throttle cable and linkages etc. It may also be worth checking the Crank Position Sensor.

The stepper motor and the TPS kind of went at the same time on my 07 Classic. The stepper motor almost got me killed while I was turning left in front of a concrete truck, causing the bike to stall. I had also been having a bit of surging issues. Under warranty, Triumph replaced the stepper and then found the TPS to also be faulty, replacing that too.

I disconnected the cruise to eliminate it, no difference, when I tried to turn the throttle to reach and hold it on 2000RPM as soon as the rev counter reached about 1700RPM the motor immediately reved to 3000RPM but on the road I can easily hold any RPM.
My next job will be checking the TPS.

This is where I am at now, I completely disconnected the cruise and removed the PCV, Connected Tune ECU no error codes, reset the adaption, let idle for 13 minutes but the green TPS did not come on. So I went through reloading the map and rest the adaption again, let run, still no green TPS light, decided to try on the road, now it starts but won’t run or it will idle rough for a short while then cut out.
When removing the PCV the Crank Position Sensor had to be split then reconnected.But it’s connected up correctly.
Reconnected Tune ECU , no error codes.
Any suggestions.

Back