BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
Are the stock throttle tubess any stronger than the heated grip tubes? The reason I ask is that I I am interested in putting some heat demons in my bars but have no interest in my throttle tube breaking.

I have the heat demons that fit inside the bars and have had no issues they are not as hot as some but enough to elevate the arthritis in my hands on a cold day, I have had them in for a good while now

I just had fitted some 1" Oxford Cruiser HOT grips and they used a stock Rocket 3 throttle tube after removing the factory rubber grip. Great price on these from Poland of all places with free postage even to Australia. These are the later version with automatic power off with low battery detection if you leave them turned on. It allows you to direct wire them to battery with the temperature control

US$80 (AU$104)
OXFORD PREMIUM CRUISER HOTGRIPS CRUISER HEATED GRIPS CHOPPER 1" (25 mm) 1 INCH

Description:
  • These HotGripsT are specifically designed for motorcycles with 1 handlebars.
  • The grip length is 138mm but can be trimmed to 119mm if required and has removable chrome end caps so that bar end weights can be fitted.
  • Soft grippy rubber provides comfort and control
  • Removable chrome end cap keeps original styling
    (Includes 2 additional dark chrome end caps)
  • Replacement throttle tube for Harley Davidson motorcycles
  • Throttle adaptor tube for Honda motorcycles
  • Intelligent Heat Controller
  • Raised and tactile silicone buttons for use with gloved hands
  • Battery Saving Mode turns the grips off if you forget
  • Clutch mounting bracket & fitting kit included
  • New mounting bracket for 1" handlebars
  • (Including chrome & black covers)
  • Draws under 4A

Also Avon do Grips made to fit the R3.
OK - So ordered a set of Avons to fit on the new bars

1) If you want open ended grips (and I do) then you will need to hacksaw the end cap off. This advise from Avon themselves. - I used a lathe and sanding block to get a neat finish.

2) The fit I/D throttle tube to O/D handlebar is as poor and rattle-y as stock. This was frankly disappointing. It encourages vibration and wear. I was told by a Harley place that "dirt can get in and jam things up". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?. To jam a tolerance of 0.75mm play all round - you need to be really riding in a greasy-sand storm. That or you are so **** ham fisted with maintenance you should be nowhere near a bike. So I made up some 3" bar-weight / extensions from 1" stainless and machined a 22mm bearing surface on the last 30mm. Igus solid plastic bushing machined to be a tight push fit into the tube. ZERO WAGGLE.

This is a real shame as the rubber grippy bit is very very good indeed.

I have some Aluminium-CNC grips on "A slow boat from China" HIT IT BENNY!

Update. The Chinese CNC metal tube rubber sleeved grips have arrived.
Less rattle tolerance on the throttle side. But more slop on the left. This latter is a bugger. Fixable but a bit peeving.
They too are closed ends (but I knew this). Lathe time. Machined to tight tolerance.

But astonishingly - more comfy than the Avons. At well under 1/2 the price. Metal and not plastic - for those wanting heated grips.
And (and believe me I don't really understand how) the rubber bit feels warmer despite being Aluminum bodied as opposed to Plastic.

Hunt on ebay and Amazon - I bought black but these are the chrome finish ones.
grip.jpg

Back