low fuel warning

Growing up (driving etc) in the late 70's, my older brother would always call home and ask my mother to send me w/gas to retrieve him when I got home....(he would never fill his tank in his car)....$5 or $10 dollars @ a time......after 20 times of retrieving him and his clunker of a car......No more. The 21st time it was a 3mile walk and 3 transit buses to get home.....and get the gas can and money from Mom for gas....and then a 9 mile walk back to the car( he had a gas can----so no bus ride).....after that he seemed to do Better...LOL:roll:
:roll::roll:

My old 2006 has a 6.3 US Gallon tank. The farthest I have stretched was 240 miles and put 6.2 gallons in it. I have had fill ups getting as much as 45 mpg. But some how I think those are the good ol days. Since the NLR/Viking up grade about 33 mpg is my best so far. Wicking on it can make it drop to as little as 27 mpg. The trip to Spearfish, SD in a few days will tell the tale.

Edit: 2500 miles trip to Spearfish and back gave good performance results and the fuel mileage was way better than expected. Most fill up ranged in the 36 to 38 mpg with a few 40 mpg fill ups. Very happy.

Last edited:
Anyone seen how far it will go after the low fuel light comes on? I got down to Range 1 mile and filled up. All I was able to get in after carefully putting in as much as I could was 4.435 gallons. Man this thing needs a much bigger tank.
Just a couple days ago, I went at least 10 miles past when it reached 0 miles of range, then put about 4.6 gallons of gas in it (have to love the Northeast US, where gas stations are so few and far between). No clue how much farther I could have gone before it ran dry, because I haven't been able to get a good sense for exactly how much is in there when it's full.

B

Just a couple days ago, I went at least 10 miles past when it reached 0 miles of range, then put about 4.6 gallons of gas in it (have to love the Northeast US, where gas stations are so few and far between). No clue how much farther I could have gone before it ran dry, because I haven't been able to get a good sense for exactly how much is in there when it's full.

B
My ass would have been tight enough to turn coal into a diamond at 0 miles. I'm nervous just thinking about it. You have balls of steal I say! Or maybe just a glutton for punishment.:thumbsup:

Ha! I was just out of options. Stopped at a gas station when it was pretty low, but they were out of gas, so had to find another. Despite living an hour from one of the biggest cities on Earth, gas stations are pretty scarce in Southwest Connecticut, though, so I had no other choice. That said, the pucker factor was real for the last couple miles. I was definitely wondering at what point it would sputter and die, leaving me to trek a couple miles along a no-shoulder road through the woods to get some gas. That would have been a joy.

B

I've decided to name my Rocket 3 Dr. Pepper because it needs a swill at 10:00, 2:00, and 4:00 o'clock.
s-l500.jpg

Alright then it seems you could go quite further but I guess you need a certain level to cover and cool the fuel pump. Maybe the 1.5 liters of fuel after 5 miles over range could be like an engineering safety margin. I guess running it flat out to test wouldn't be good for the pump or injectors. I wonder were you strap an extra couple of liters of fuel. Camelback?
Yes drink the gas when the light comes on, then when you come to a stop pee in the tank, works every time.

Dr. Pepper was smelling like burning plastic after another short ride this morning so I took off the seat to let her cool down. Needed to stop, the low fuel light was on anyway. :whitstling:
smelling seat off.jpeg
smelly.jpeg

Back