low fuel warning

stingray

Nitrous
Ride
'21Rocket 3GT, '17 KTM 1290 SDGT, '04 Goldwing
Anyone seen how far it will go after the low fuel light comes on? I got down to Range 1 mile and filled up. All I was able to get in after carefully putting in as much as I could was 4.435 gallons. Man this thing needs a much bigger tank.

Attachments

• Rocket3.jpeg
    Rocket3.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 20
Anyone seen how far it will go after the low fuel light comes on? I got down to Range 1 mile and filled up. All I was able to get in after carefully putting in as much as I could was 4.435 gallons. Man this thing needs a much bigger tank.
Depending on how you ride, you can almost get 200 miles of highway riding on a tank (I did it yesterday). Around town it's usually 130 miles or so. Not great for touring, but not too bad. I have a couple liter gas bottles I carry with me on long trips, but I've never had to use them. I had a 2009 (2 gen) VMax that you had to fill at 100 miles in town and 130 on the open road. The problem with the R3 tank is it's hard to actually get it full, but if you're patient and can manipulate the nozzle you can do it.

Depending on how you ride, you can almost get 200 miles of highway riding on a tank (I did it yesterday). Around town it's usually 130 miles or so. Not great for touring, but not too bad. I have a couple liter gas bottles I carry with me on long trips, but I've never had to use them. I had a 2009 (2 gen) VMax that you had to fill at 100 miles in town and 130 on the open road. The problem with the R3 tank is it's hard to actually get it full, but if you're patient and can manipulate the nozzle you can do it.
They claim 5 gallon capacity. Maybe, before the pump and electrics. I filled up twice yesterday just riding around until the low fuel light comes on. The pump usually clicks off at around 4 gallons and can squeeze another half in it before it pukes over the safety neck. I guess every 150 miles you need a Rocket break anyway. I'd hate to be taking a trip on it. Maybe that hidden half gallon is hiding under the low fuel warning, the old reserve tank. sputter sputter, flip to reserve.......zzzooom

i get about 150 miles from a tank, I've had it down to zero miles left and i managed to do an extra 5 miles to get to the fuel station and discovered it still had 1.5 ltrs left in the tank
Alright then it seems you could go quite further but I guess you need a certain level to cover and cool the fuel pump. Maybe the 1.5 liters of fuel after 5 miles over range could be like an engineering safety margin. I guess running it flat out to test wouldn't be good for the pump or injectors. I wonder were you strap an extra couple of liters of fuel. Camelback?

I agree with you. I understand this isn't a "touring" bike and I shouldn't expect 500 miles per tank but being able to only put 4.5 gallons in a bike with a 2500CC engine is not cool. I DO enjoy twisting that throttle though!!! :thumbsup:
Even on my '14 R3T I'm looking at 120miles with mixed riding and ~140 on straight freeway... which works out as I can use the stretch. Might be my twitchy wrist... :whitstling: :whitstling: For State-to-State riding I do carry an emergency fuel bottle. Fortunately, I've never used it.
-MIG

I tried to pack in a bit more after the first click off. Maybe another half gallon, then rode about 30 miles and stopped for something to eat. When I returned gasoline was spewing out the cap. Got hot and expanded more than the tiny air pocket on top could handle. Glad it didn't catch fire. No more topping off for me. The tank design can't handle it. This is basically a 125 to 140 mile range ride.

I have zero problems with getting off the Rocket after 120 miles. Most of us geezers' need the break anyway. With the neck and back problems and the prostate the size of an Idaho potato I enjoy the breaks. It would be nice if the Rocket had a true 6 gallon tank but it is what it is so every 120 miles it's break time. I'm not out to set any records. Not anymore that is.:thumbsup:

Back