coyote569

.020 Over
I know this has been addressed before, but has anyone come up with a fix for the low fuel light coming on too soon? Mine lights up within 30 miles of filling the tank.

This is one fix that the Triumph dealers know about... if you can get your bike back to a dealer it would be a warranty adjustment. I'm sure the dealer would be thankful if you brought the bike in with very little gas in it as opposed to having just filled it up.

I've never played with this but the sending unit comes out the bottom of the gas tank. You have to adjust it by bending the float arm (I think dealers put in a whole new sending unit). After you are done I would use a new gasket for the plate on the bottom of the tank.

How far do you bend the float arm?? You are going to have to study it and guesstimate...

Welcome Coyote. Some people have had the sender in the tank replaced under warranty. I think simply bending the arm on the sender would help. Sort of like a toilet bowl works? I would take some skinny fingers though.:D

Last edited:
Both the idiot light and the fuel guage work off of the same sending unit, so if that sending unit was bent during assembly or simply not adjusted correctly from the start... neither the light or the guage are going to work as they should. If the bike's under warranty, I would have the dealer tackle it.

I have the same problem and my dealer looked at me like I was stupid when I asked about getting it fixed under warranty, but I think he has sold only 2 or 3 rockets and doesn't seem to want to work on them.

I just want to remove the tank and bend the rod, any body done this themselvs?

The sending unit comes out from the bottom of the fuel tank and you would need a new gasket for the access plate under there. Also... I would be very very careful because you will spill some gas... I would work on the bike outside, remove the tank and then open it up. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Don't burn your house down. DO disconnect the battery. Follow the instructions in the service manual for removal of the sending unit.

Better yet... have your dealer do it... if it doesn't work correctly it should be fixed under warranty... tell him to grow up and be a real dealer:roll:

The is a spacific voltage for the sending unit when at empty, .5V using the Triumph hand held tool. The fix is to bend the arm to get this reading. It can be done with the tank in place, but a real pain in the stones. Bending the arem is the only fix, and it takes trial and error.

Cheers

I know this has been addressed before, but has anyone come up with a fix for the low fuel light coming on too soon? Mine lights up within 30 miles of filling the tank.

Within 30 miles? That sucks! And good cause for wanting a fix. Mine comes on at 3.4-3.6 gallons down from full. I can live with that. I don't mind big fudge factors:D You never know when you'll be 100 miles from the next fill 'em up station.

Back