Isn't 30 miles the standard for idiot lights on cars? I mean, is this really a malfunction because the arm is bent wrong or is it performing the way its supposed to and people just don't like it?

Me

if I fill up right when the light comes on, I get about 4.6 gallons or so in it. So there is about a gallon left which I think is average for resurves on bikes. About 30 miles on ours.
By the way I have never had to have my gauge ajusted it's been that way since day 1.
Hope that helps.

Isn't 30 miles the standard for idiot lights on cars? I mean, is this really a malfunction because the arm is bent wrong or is it performing the way its supposed to and people just don't like it?

if I fill up right when the light comes on, I get about 4.6 gallons or so in it. So there is about a gallon left which I think is average for resurves on bikes. About 30 miles on ours.
By the way I have never had to have my gauge ajusted it's been that way since day 1.
Hope that helps.

CLEARLY the fudge factor varies tremendously. Why is that...farming out error! QC sucks and don't givva**** business attitude. If you think they don't have you by the short hairs:eek: If you don't like it they'll find the next sucker. Paul's is down about 2 gallons, mine is down about 3.5;bBut I believe the thread started with the idiot light coming on at 30 miles post fill-up.?? What's that about, one gallon or less? That's wrong!

But don't get me wrong, I like my margin.

Last edited:
Fuel light/gauge

My 05's fuel light came on with 3 gallons remaining. After several attempts by my dealer to correct it, I bought the OEM fuel gauge. After it was installed, I found out it's reading was tied directly to the sensor that out of adjustment.

Finally, Triumph sent a new float and sensor. This one activates the low fuel light just as my gauge reaches the red. It leaves me 2 gallons which is fine for me. Thought you'd like to know

Hope that helps.

That's right about where mine kicks on which I would think is the way it should be, now if it's doing it with 3 gallons still left in the tank then yeah, that's retarded.

I just replaced a sending unit last week. It looks like they are being calibrated better from the manufacturer. When the bike came in, the light was on, and when I was done, it wasn't. The bike had about 2 USG in the tank.

Also, in my first post in this thread, I said it was 5 V at empty. It's actually a lower value, but of course, I forgot to bring home my notes when leaving the shop yesterday. I think it was actually 4.2 V.

Cheers

Idiot light for a gassed idiot

Hope that helps.

I get about the same .... 4.2 - 4.5 gal down before the light comes on. I'm getting about 35 mpg so that's about 70 miles till empty. It's better to know a bit early than a bit late.

I almost always reset one of the trip odometers when I fill up so I just flip over to the odo, assume I'm getting 30 mpg, and go on that.

I can get over 200 miles on a tank, unless I'm riding heavy or hard, but usually gas up before 180 or so.

I think the manufacture date on mine is November 2005.

Back