Fuel guage reads empty after 2nd fillup

Terry Newhart

.020 Over
Ride
1950 Indian Chief, 2012 Honda Goldwing, 2014 Rocket III Roadster
My fuel gage stayed at 3 bars after my first fill up, it continued down even though the tank was full and has stayed at 0 even after filling up the second time, I know its slow sometimes, my last rocket took 5 miles to get to full, have disconnected the battery to try a manual reset, lol and checked all the fuses. the low fuel light still works although it goes off with 2 gallons in the tank, another problem I've had on my previous rockets, any help would be appreciated.

I found mine is slow until I reset the trip meter- don't reall know if it helped.

It sounds like there is something preventing the float from floating all the way to the surface. If the fuel light comes on when there is about 1.5 to 2 gallons in the tank then that part is working correctly so the float is moving. However, it is not moving all the way up when the tank is full.

It sounds like there is something preventing the float from floating all the way to the surface. If the fuel light comes on when there is about 1.5 to 2 gallons in the tank then that part is working correctly so the float is moving. However, it is not moving all the way up when the tank is full.
taking it to the stealer today, they will probably blame me for lifting the tank to put the apes on it.

taking it to the stealer today, they will probably blame me for lifting the tank to put the apes on it.

Mine acted a little crazy and stopped working after I lifted the tank once. Turns out I had slightly pulled the cluster wire socket out just a bit. Plugged it back up tight and no more problems.

Thanks I will lift the tank and look again

I've had my instrument cluster off and the tank raised several times this winter as I needed to run wires. You have to raise the tank to do any work so it shouldn't be an issue. The gage is always slow to respond after a fill up.... mine usually shows full by the time I get home (about 2 miles). I hope I don't have any issues in the spring, so let us know what you find.

My fuel gage stayed at 3 bars after my first fill up, it continued down even though the tank was full and has stayed at 0 even after filling up the second time, I know its slow sometimes, my last rocket took 5 miles to get to full, have disconnected the battery to try a manual reset, lol and checked all the fuses. the low fuel light still works although it goes off with 2 gallons in the tank, another problem I've had on my previous rockets, any help would be appreciated.

Update, and knowledge for all, On the 2014 roadster, not sure about earlier models the clutch switch is an input to the "miles to empty", and fuel gage, when i installed the apes I removed the "clutch safety switch" which disabled both "miles to empty and fuel gage" glad I kept all the pieces, dealer had to call triumph to figure out what the problem was, I reinstalled the clutch safety switch and all is good.

Back