Louder Pipes is it possible

TorontoRider

.040 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
Hi friends,
I am seriously thinking of buying a used 2010 Triumph Rocket Touring. My only concern is that I am going to go from Suzuki boulevard c109 with loud pipes to Inline three cylinders with no sound. I was just worried that I might not get enough loud pipes. If anyone can please let me know, is it possible to get louder pipes or somehow make the stock pipes louder. I have seen some video's on Youtube where Roadster have some loud pipes but they say that they are not avaiable for Touring because of the Bags support. Any input would be highly appreciated to finalize my decision.
Also, I would like your feedback regarding the Rocket III Touring...I rode it once and found it very nimble compared to my C109, it handeled much better due to 180 tyre whereas c109 has a 250 tire...

Test rode the 109 before I went and bought the rocket roadster - no comparison 109 is a bag of **** (no offence just a personal opinion). There are lots of pipes out there I found these guys were good - australia based have the shorty spurs on mine now - plenty loud enough and i came from a GSXR 750 with Race Taylor Made exhausts :D

Dennis Foran Motorcycle Exhausts - Home Page - © 2007 - 2010

TOR's (Triumph Off Road) exhaust is really quite loud when you open the throttle, they are a good choice especially if you like the look of the factory exhaust like I do. D&D's are a little quieter than the TOR's until you start removing baffles, I had the twin pipes on one side for the Standard model and liked the way they sounded when only one baffle was removed. This doesn't cause any problems with single cylinder restriction since the exhaust header feeds into a single pipe prior to the duals anyway. Now if you really like LOUD, the D&D's with both baffles removed is horribly loud. TOR's and D&D's are the most economical parts available for the R3 since the D&D's are relatively inexpensive and TOR's can be purchased used all day long. Jardines are pricy but since they come with a complete header and matched exhaust they are the best for performance and can be made to be as loud as you want with baffle repacking or removal.

I now have TOR's on my Standard and wear ear plugs to be more comfortable when not wearing a helmet. I like good forceful sound from exhaust but I really hate those **** noisy bar hoppers that serve only to rattle eardrums. I have to be able to spend time on my bike, not just 5min at a time and annoy the neighbors.

You are right about the stock exhaust being a little too quiet, if you can hear the injectors tick, the timing chain spinning and the water pump swishing the bike is too quiet. TOR's hide all that as well as the extra noise from intake valves and throttle plates whistling when you go to triple exposed K&N filters and cut the bearclaw. The TOR's are just loud enough to cover all those engine noises.

If you like it loud get a set of jardines and take the baffles out.
Im running TORS and a friend of mine is using Jardines, at idle with bikes side by side can not hear my bike, when he takes off it sounds like a souped up semi:D

Louder pipes

I have the D&D pipes. They are louder but not loud. Mine sounds like my 3-cyl tractor now. I'm pretty happy with it but would like it a little louder yet. The D&D's are high quality and come with the underseat K&N filter upgrade. You'll need a tune upgrade once installed. Another replier mentioned removing baffles from the D&D's. Please tell me more. How to do and will this affect the tune? Of course you know now-- the RT3 is a big A-- motorcycle. It does handle well for a big bike. The most dangerous periods are when you're not under power. This sucker is a little top heavy and you better keep her cenetered up when backing her up and such or she'll get over on you.

I have the D&D pipes. They are louder but not loud. Mine sounds like my 3-cyl tractor now. I'm pretty happy with it but would like it a little louder yet. The D&D's are high quality and come with the underseat K&N filter upgrade. You'll need a tune upgrade once installed. Another replier mentioned removing baffles from the D&D's. Please tell me more. How to do and will this affect the tune? Of course you know now-- the RT3 is a big A-- motorcycle. It does handle well for a big bike. The most dangerous periods are when you're not under power. This sucker is a little top heavy and you better keep her cenetered up when backing her up and such or she'll get over on you.
I posted a thread on how to remove the baffles from D&D's and the tool I used. You can probably find it using the search feature but here's a brief description.
The pipes need to be mounted on the bike and the single screw removed that holds the baffle in place. I then used an expandable bearing puller (picture shown on that other thread) to knock them out. They are pressed in fairly tight but slow steady blows with the slide hammer bearing puller removes them without damage. I found that just pulling the lower baffle and leaving the upper one makes for a nice sound that is not too obnoxious.

I found the thread http://www.r3owners.net/custom-mods/5687-removing-d-d-baffles.html

So, went and test rode one...this was 2010 touring...well, I was not smiling molar to molar after the ride...Here are my observations...sorry, if I offend anybody...
1. Too much engine noise...my C109 with stock exhaust never had that kind of noice and now with side burners there is none...
2. Torque is great but my C109 is also not bad with the mods I have done....
3. Back tire locked on me twice....once accidently, doing the normal braking the way I will do on my C109...and once intentionally as I practice on my C109...I know 2010 does not have ABS and probably 180 tire can't handle the weight of the motorcycle properly...I have beaten the Sh.... out of Road King, even that won't slide on the side in extreme braking...My wife was sitting behind, even with the extra load the rear wheel locked and the motorycycle skidded on the side...That really put me off...I have applied the full brakes at 60mph on C109 and never ever it has skidded on the side...I will lock in extreme braking but still the bike would go straight...Triumph should think of putting a bigger tire on Touring so that there is more contact and stopping power without locking of the wheel and to avoid the side skid...
4. Did not like the engine and exhaust sound at all...too much noice from engine and hardly any sound from stock exhaust.
5. The riding position was not comfortable at all...all the time my feet were looking for more floor boards to move my feet ahead...to use heel shifter I had to move my foot atlease 6" back...When I rode Harley Road King for 4 days in a course, there was no adjustments required...I never felt odd...
Sorry, friends but Rocket Touring in not my piece of cake...may be in future if they change the riding position with a wider tire and efficient ABS, I will consider it.
Thanks a lot to everyone for valuable input...This site is really great for Rocket III riders...

Back