Look what I just brought home!

Aluminum isn't much different to weld than anything else if you have the right rig. Grab a scrap piece and practice a little. I'm sure you would be much more satisfied knowing you did it yourself. :thumbsup:

Cooter, I spent ten years in Research and Development Engineering, often the answer to a problem was staring me in the face !
What I suggest you do is look at the stock Triumph pump filter assembly and simply duplicate exactly how that is set up.
I can't remember (with out re reading this whole thread) if you got a tank and fuel pump with the bike, but if not you could buy the stock unit off Ebay I'm sure, no more guessing that way.

Cooter, I spent ten years in Research and Development Engineering, often the answer to a problem was staring me in the face !
What I suggest you do is look at the stock Triumph pump filter assembly and simply duplicate exactly how that is set up.
I can't remember (with out re reading this whole thread) if you got a tank and fuel pump with the bike, but if not you could buy the stock unit off Ebay I'm sure, no more guessing that way.
COOTER I suggest you sell that bike and buy another stock bike with the money and save yourself a lot of time , money and aggravation and you will be a lot happier

Eureka! It was the back pressure from the filter, I had in-line, going back to the tank. This pump, although it's rated at only 45 psi, has so much volume that if it gets restricted, it overheats. I ran a hose from the by-pass on the regulator and stuck it in the fill cap. Holds 40 psi (where I set it), and pump doesn't even get warm. I just gotta put the filter in-line to the rack, where I know it should be, just tight space. She will go down the road soon!;)
For information, I do have the stock pump, etc. just no tank. I investigated, searched, tried many ways to use those parts externally, but no way. And even looked at stock tanks. WAY too much money even for smashed ones! Besides I think a stock tank on this frame would look almost as bad as the tank I'm going to use.o_O

More progress. Spent most of the day gathering parts. I know the gas tank is kinda/a-lot, gaudy, but it is what it is. Most other tanks I've looked at, all have a big hump in the middle, which I don't need. Got this spun aluminum 3 gal, with cap and gauge for $200. Got the spacer problems for the front and rear axles worked out, they are not the same as a 2013! Now to strat grinding, cutting, welding, and some paint. Gettin close!

Lookin' good there!
Where did you buy the rear fender?
I think that tank gives it a great Rat-Bike look!!!

Last edited:
yea, what he said :) if I ain't workin on this thing, I'll be working on my 2 harleys. And I have 2 new tires for my ZRX1200r to mount up, my 2013 Rocket needs a bath bad, gotta pull the motor out of the Mustang drag car, naw, I'll keep putzzing away with this for now.
Fender from Northern tool. Still gotta paint stuff and make a front seat bracket, bleed the brakes, drill a couple more holes, a couple more brackets here and there.:);):banghead::p

Now the slow part starts, brackets, tubes, braces, lot's of tig welding, which I'm just learning. Gas tank, rear fender, seat, battery box, and mounting all that wiring stuff. All of the original brackets, tabs, etc. are gone. Funny mistake, I was wondering why the original owner apparently drained all the oil, UNTIL I fired it up. I had added a few quarts to the oil tank, and on start up, it over flowed! Oil had drained/seeped into the crankcase from the tank, and was pumped back once the engine started. (dry sump) Happens with hardleys all the time. What a mess!:roll:
When I was getting mine ready to start after a three year sit, I was expecting a decent amount less than six quarts to drain out, since it had been leaking the entire time it sat. Imagine my surprise when about 8-9 quarts drained! I didn't know about the oil settling either, so three years ago before starting it I checked the oil (it had been sitting a while then too), it showed none on the dipstick, so I topped it up to start it. Well between the settling and not as much leaking out as I thought… I was a bit over. Luckily not enough to overflow like yours. :laugh:

Back