Look what I just brought home!

****, I thought I did good getting a 2016 with no miles for $9999 but you might have beaten me!

Bike is coming along nicely. But in all honesty I am not a fan of that tank. Kinda sorta looks tacked up there and out of place. Ive watched them build tanks from scratch on those motorcycle reality shows all in one hour, not counting commercials. Surely you could whip up something in maybe 2 to 3 hours??? All you need is some steel sheets and a rubber mallet.:whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

I agree about the tank. It will suffice until I get all the rest done, and can be replaced later. I'd like to wind up with lights, etc. so I can drive it on the street. But it also might just be a trailer queen, to the race track and back. I have 4 other tagged and street legal bikes, so I dunno? Still planning in my head how I want to mount the rear fender, battery box and all the electrical goodies.

One step forward, two steps back..... "DISCLAIMER" I ain't no bike builder! All my customization in the past has been unbolting, or hack sawing. Trying to learn TIG welding, and old eyes don't help. Got some 2.5 cheater lens in my helmet! Finally got the rear fender where I want it, will look better once I get the big assed car tire on there. Had a time matching the seat to the fender. Still got to make a bracket for the front of the seat. Then mess with the battery box, and all the bolt on electrical pieces. Hope to at least have it running, minus paint, before my new Home Depot metal shelving units arrive. Got a lot to do there. They will go where I now have wooden shelves piled with cwap.

HELP! Hit a small road block! Looking for suggestions. The basket case came with no fuel tank, and I think an original tank is too big and un-sightly for this build. So a different tank with external fuel pump is in order. I got a 3 bar (what specs say is desired) pump, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G68SK1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but without a regulator, it floods the engine. Will run, but floods out with throttle input. Engine runs fine with original pump. (sat pump in can of gas and ran hose to injector rail, without the original regulator BTW). However the way the original pump and it's regulator are setup, they must be inside the tank as both the pump and the regulator by-pass fuel back into the tank. I have an external pressure regulator on order, but suspect I'll have to run a return line to the tank, for the excess pressure bleed-off. ALSO worried about what type of fuel line I should use, as 3 bar is around 43/45 lbs pressure! Thought I was close to going down the road, but this problem has me sorta stumped. Trying to find the thread I saw somewhere of the Guy that put a Rocket engine on a 4 wheeler, to ask how he setup the fueling, but can't find it now? SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Find a tank you fancy with a flattish bottom, and remove the bottom of a factory tank. Make hole in bottom of new tank to match piece removed from factory tank; weld old bottom onto new tank....presto!....internal plumbing!

Well, CHIT! I thought I was close. Plumbing nightmare. Set regulator to 40 PSI, only had one leak. Start up and runs fine, letting idle, fuel pump gets hot, starts to cavitate and pressure drops to 15/20, engine stumbles and quits. I'm trying to run return line into "T" at tank outlet. Probably too much resistance to flow. Yes, I have the filter connected to the return line. Only place I could squeeze it in. Maybe that's the back-up. Or could be a chitty egay pump? Nuttin easy these days! Will try running return line into top of tank, to see. If that's the problem, I'll have to get another bung welded into the tank. Seeing as how I'm just learning TIG, and haven't even touched aluminum. "yet" I'll have to take it to the machine shop to get it done right. I have spent hours looking for a tank with a flattish bottom, but all seem to have the hump. Have spent a bunch of mula buying different regulators, hoses, lines, fittings, trying to sort this out. I'll get-er sooner or later!:)

Back