Long ride: Tall Touring or Regular Wimdscreen?

dandiego

Turbocharged
Ride
2009 R3T
B442465A-6E4C-459C-9A7B-8BD451364FEF.jpeg

CEE0F758-1546-4E35-974E-FFCBE4514033.jpeg

Yeah, I know....first world problem.

I’m leaving on Tuesday for a 2-week, 5,500-mile ride from FL to CA and back—with stops in AL, MO, NM and AZ along the way.

I haven’t used my tall touring windscreen for quite a while and was just gonna sell it. But the weather forecast calls for thundershowers for the first part of the ride and the taller screen would shield some of the rain. And it has a BMW-style vent for air. But that Southwest return route will be HOT!

So I’m looking at them both and will decide which to use later today.

Any input from the peanut gallery?

(And I know one of you jokers is gonna say, “How about NO windscreen!”)

I personally would go with the short one just from an aesthetics standpoint. I just don't like the looks of the tall screen on the bike. I usually run my tall screen in the fall and spring when the morning temps are in the 20s and 30s but can't wait to get it off as the weather warms up. But that is just my personal preference.

bob

I also have both for my Touring and don't much like either one. I get a lot of buffeting with the standard but prefer it during summer local and short haul riding. For long range, multi state riding in inclement weather I prefer a tall screen.

I must say that your tall screen appears to be a Clearview, to me the best aftermarket screen on the market. It appears to have a recurve and they have a vent option.

I'll be replacing my stock Triumph tall screen with one of them shortly. I had one on my 07 Classic

If you have the tall one you should use it, otherwise your going to be wearing your full face for the whole trip. I use to remove and install one or the other but now I'm feeling old and what the hell I've got the tall one so I leave it on. No decisions to be made that way.

Do you wear a helmet.....does it have a drop down face shield or a snap on?......I'd definitely go with your regular windscreen assuming you can see over it. If you are caught in a thunderstorm or hailstorm, as I have been in Colorado then it will not matter if you have regular or tall.....a face shield, any type, will make a big difference in your favor. :thumbsup:

With me it's the darn buffeting against my helmet with the short screen. I wore a half helmet the entire length of Rt 66 when I rode it years ago and had the good sense to buy one of those $30 flip up/down face screens. It was up most of the time but when heavy weather hit, boy did it come in handy.

Back