Lifetime Honda guy just trying to get info on Triumph

Hello all from Texas!! First off, I apologize for the fact I had to join your forum because I am just after some good ol information, but I really felt this was the best and most effective way. A little introduction is in order here:
56 year old born and raised Texan. Been riding since a youngster, first on dirt and then street. All Hondas up to now, SL 70, CB 175, 360,CB 500, CB 750, and three Gold Wings, 2 Valkyries. Present ride is a 2001 Valkyrie Interstate.
Don't do any "touring" but not uncommon for me to leave 0600 and arrive back home 2200! Not a speed guy, don't do anything crazy, take care of my stuff. Love the reliability of the Hondas, never even had a head off of them.
But I want something new. Made the mistake of renting a Harley Ultra Limited a couple years back just to see how the other side lives, and I had a BLAST! Different than any riding experience I had been accustomed to, so now I am trying to decide on a new bike. The Rocket III Touring is one of the bikes I am interested in, but I know absolutely nothing about Triumph, and especially the R3. My best friend had a BSA 650 chopper way back in the day that was home built, but that's it.
Anyone ridden Harley touring bike or Gwings? Can you compare for me the good and bad of each? Again I'm brand new to Triumph and am trying to see if this avenue is something I need to pursue, like test drives and such. I don't even know if there is a Triumph dealer around here. Plenty of Harley dealers and Honda too.
I need to be comfortable for the day but something about the R3 is intriguing to me. I'm a mechanic by trade but now make my living working in a hospital. I realize the R3 is a performance beast but what about all day comfort? 2 up riding? Triumph Rocket 3, Harley Ultra Limited, and another Gold Wing are really the three I am interested in.
Cruise control is a must, so I will have to tackle that issue, as well as a bat fairing, so any input on those two problems is appreciated.
Again any info is appreciated!!!
Safe riding!!

Michael
Welcome fellow Texan, what part of TX are you from? DFW here... if you like the Goldwings, the R3 has a similar ride due to the fact it will not “shake your fillings loose” as has been stated previously. I never cared for the seating position of the Goldwings, with the height of the seat, foot position and (since I’m 6’3) my knees hit the fairing which tends to make them sore and push me backward. The R3 has a much more comfortable cruising seating position for me. (Of course I have an ‘07 classic with forward foot controlls and footboards which is not available on the new Roadster models). The Touring models are beauties and fit right in aesthetically with Road Kings, however when it comes to chrome and finishes...Harley does a better job. Still, with proper care and maintenance, R3s can be kept in pristine showroom condition. I’m partial to shaft drive with the smoothness and instant power delivery it provides. And speaking of “Power”...the R3’s torque is hard to match. Triumph has been rebuilt into a very reliable brand since it’s downfall and short hiatus in the late 20th century. There are some European dealers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, not sure whats available in your area. A lot of former Valkyrie riders have made the switch and are on this forum, my suggestion is to test ride an R3 if you have not already done so. Like any bike or vehicle, regular maintenance and upkeep is required for the R3, you might go through tires quicker on this bike (depending on how you ride). I dont think Triumph offers “quick release” panniers or saddle bags, but there are some options for modifying if thats important to you. Might also have to go with an after market cruise control (not sure if its available on the touring model). Another con is that there is not much available in accessories for the R3. In the end, what kind of riding experience do you want? Any of the three bikes you are looking at can be versatile enough to go across country, across town or just tool around. Test ride them all and sleep on it...

2-3 cents here:

I've lost count of the bikes I've owned over the years, includes 4 GWs, 2 Valks, Ultra Claasic, Victory Cross Roads. I love the GW platform, and have well over 100K miles on the Honda's collectively. I wanted something different and the R3 certainly scratched the itch. I can see myself picking up another GW or Valk in a few years though, not because it's a better bike, it just fits me better, will be keeping the R3 as well for sure. They different bikes and not comparable on most aspects other than they both have 2 wheels, seats and engines.

For your style of riding, long days in the saddle, GW fits the bill much better that the R3T in my opinion. I would seriously take a long look at the Victory Vision. The Victory's are great bikes, cheaper with great engineering, fit and finish is great. Like the stock Harleys, the Victory's need a stage 1 or 2 performance upgrade, they are choked down from the factory but come alive with high flow intake and free flow exhaust with associated ECM re-map, really fun bikes. The Victory's sit big for the rider, all day comfort and you can really stretch out better than all the others. The most irritating thing about the R3 is the heat, busting around town in the Texas summer heat is brutal, but worth it for the torque smiles.

Good luck with your choice, let us know what you get.

How’s this for Irony:

I’m on the hunt for a third bike. I went and sat on the new R1, GSXR1000, and CBR1000 yesterday to see which one fits me the best, realistically they can all be brought to the 195hp level easily, they all have great electronics, so the only thing I care about is fit.

The CBR1000RR fits me like it’s custom made for me, haha.

Gold wing is a great bike. I flat had to get more legroom. My knees were right in the vents. Road pegs on the R3 are a total luxury.

I flat miss reverse gear. Pushing the Rocket backwards on gravel is no fun.

A slight handlebar vibe reminds you that you are not on the wing. The engine sound reminds you also.

The Goldwing, has endless power and torque. Smooth as silk, and that strong intake roar, when throttle is applied.

The Rocket kind of putts along at a fast idle. Throttle applications, any gear, and power is on tap right this second. 5th seems stronger than 4th gear, as the bike has a lot of torque.

The Wing feels refined. R3? It reminds you it is not totally tame.

Wing = Honda Civic.

R3 = It can be quiet and nice. Then there is another side.

It took me maybe 500 feet, and I knew I was going to buy the R3.

Honda airfilter change? Hour plus.

R3? A couple minutes.

Honda battery access? Hate it!

R3? Seconds.

Oil check. Etc. Easy on R3.

Reliability? Honda was never touched. R3 has been its equal, so far.

Likely more reliable would be the Wing.

Adrenaline rush? R3

After reading the first page I jumped to the end. If you're a mostly solo rider the R3 will be the most fun. I traded mine for a K1600 gtl because the 06 R3 beat my wife up! I bought a nice seat and her fanny was happy, but the buffeting was too much for her, I did the triumph touring screen and added a laminar lip that raised the wind to my forehead but didn't help her a bit! I like the gtl but as long as I have it i'll have a 2nd bike. Once she's done riding with me i'll have the option of getting back on a R3 and once I have one back in my garage i'll probably find I no longer need a 2nd bike.

After reading the first page I jumped to the end. If you're a mostly solo rider the R3 will be the most fun. I traded mine for a K1600 gtl because the 06 R3 beat my wife up! I bought a nice seat and her fanny was happy, but the buffeting was too much for her, I did the triumph touring screen and added a laminar lip that raised the wind to my forehead but didn't help her a bit! I like the gtl but as long as I have it i'll have a 2nd bike. Once she's done riding with me i'll have the option of getting back on a R3 and once I have one back in my garage i'll probably find I no longer need a 2nd bike.

Best day of owning my Rocket was the day my wife said she didn’t want to be a backpack anymore. Instantly went and removed all passenger items, seat, sisibar, pegs....

It allowed me to dedicate its role to 1 person hooligan bike, and TBH I’m happier not having to compromise anything for anyone on the back.

I love my Triumphs, couldn't really say why, but they are built to a price point, in my opinion, keep that in mind, more so than any brand I know, and I've owned everything I can think of except a Yamaha. They have little quirks and faults you probably wouldn't see in a Honda. But they grow on you, some of us love them. It's all subjective, though, I think Honda probably makes some of the best bikes in the world, but they don't grab me like a Triumph.

I'm 59 and have owned most all brands over 45 years. I own a 2013 R3T. I commute and tour ride alone, have rode 49 states.

The R3T is unique. If the R3T did not own you on your first sit on it, buy either the Honda or Harley.

Back