Lets talk L tables

I concur! One day, just not anytime soon.

Would be nice to have a detached garage to put one in.

It’s a “must have” listed item when we buy our next home in a few years.

Your tune has no L-Table input @1olbull all zeros.

The L-Tables... where do I start. They CAN result in a smoother running bike. They’re also much more time consuming to tune. Not a simple doubling of time, more like 4-5 times as long.

In my opinion To do them right you need to:

-Fully tune the F-Tables with the F/L switch set to all 0s. This gets the gross fueling where it should be.

-Enable the L-Tables in the F/L switch table at a percentage to don’t often ride at. I have mine set at 9% up to 1930 RPM then 0s. I rarely sit at 9% for any meaningful amount of time, it’s usually a transient position on my way to 20% or more. Avoid setting them to a position to you are often at as the F/L transition can be felt in the buttocks.

-Tune the L-Table using a load cell dyno, to do it perfect you must have a dyno. To get it close you can use a PC-V + AT. You need to be able to see instant vacuum level the ECU is seeing and datalog vacuum, throttle position, rpm, and AFR, at a minimum. The challenge is that a given throttle position does not correspond to a given vacuum amount across the whole RPM band, so you need to learn the relationship of vacuum to rpm to throttle position so you can avoid transient events by moving the throttle during the sweep up the rpm. Moving the throttle will trigger acceleration enrichment and screw up the AFR datalog.

There are probably very few guys in the world that own a dyno and know how to do it right on a Rocket 3. Of those few I bet there are less than 5 that are willing to spend the time doing it.
So, nothing to it! Lol. I CAN tell the diference, the bike runs great, but it is a little snatchy in like parking lots etc..im gonna play around and see what i can learn. I do have access to a dyno....its not mine of course but I can pay to play.....

Ha, this made me smile. Almost LOL. Where the heck will I find a customer who will pay for the time? Everyone is keen to get free tunes. It takes me two days to properly tune a 1199 Panigale. The gains are enormous for just mouse clicking, no hard parts. But no-one complains about the cost AFTER they have ridden the bike.

But, Mr. Tin Shed,
With all due respect!
For the preponderance of us with stock engine Rockets, with air & header systems,
what's to be gained in RWHP with the additional 1 day and 22 hours of tuning work???

I concur! One day, just not anytime soon.
Would be nice to have a detached garage to put one in.
It’s a “must have” listed item when we buy our next home in a few years.

Just for $hits & Giggles, What would be the best dyno to get?
Please chime in here Mr. Lush. @Neville Lush

But, Mr. Tin Shed,
With all due respect!
For the preponderance of us with stock engine Rockets, with air & header systems,
what's to be gained in RWHP with the additional 1 day and 22 hours of tuning work???

MR CAPS , nothing is to gain for a stock R3 .I did not say you would need that, that time was in reference to the Ducati. Claviger seems to need that sort of work. The original poster wanted to know about tuning L tables. My point, maybe poorly made, was most folk with R3's seem to place a high value on cheap tunes, but want a dear job. To tune a rocket with all the L tables done etc etc takes time, which many complain about the cost of. My poorly placed comparison to the guy with a Panigale, is that they are very time consuming to tune well, but the owners will often pay for the time. In that particular instance the gain from proper, and thorough tuning is more than buying a $3000 exhaust system.
Just for $hits & Giggles, What would be the best dyno to get?
Please chime in here Mr. Lush.
To be frank I do not know. A dyno is a tool enabling one to measure things to effect proper changes. The dyno does not tune the bike, the operator does. Buy one which you are comfortable operating and learn how to gather useful data. Mr Claviger has shown how he gathers data with his tools etc in a way which I am not up to speed with, mainly because I do not need to be. This is another way of getting data

BTW 1 day and 22 hours to spare??? Who tunes a R3 in two hours, I must be fu$king slow, it takes me the best part of an hour to get the bike started up and get it on the dyno and set up everything.

MR CAPS , nothing is to gain for a stock R3 .I did not say you would need that, that time was in reference to the Ducati. Claviger seems to need that sort of work. The original poster wanted to know about tuning L tables. My point, maybe poorly made, was most folk with R3's seem to place a high value on cheap tunes, but want a dear job. To tune a rocket with all the L tables done etc etc takes time, which many complain about the cost of. My poorly placed comparison to the guy with a Panigale, is that they are very time consuming to tune well, but the owners will often pay for the time. In that particular instance the gain from proper, and thorough tuning is more than buying a $3000 exhaust system.

To be frank I do not know. A dyno is a tool enabling one to measure things to effect proper changes. The dyno does not tune the bike, the operator does. Buy one which you are comfortable operating and learn how to gather useful data. Mr Claviger has shown how he gathers data with his tools etc in a way which I am not up to speed with, mainly because I do not need to be. This is another way of getting data

BTW 1 day and 22 hours to spare??? Who tunes a R3 in two hours, I must be fu$king slow, it takes me the best part of an hour to get the bike started up and get it on the dyno and set up everything.

apologies - I did not mean to rile you up!
i was genuinely curious if extended tuning time (over 3 hours) would improve anything on a stock engine - please excuse my my ignorance.
in your field, i reckoned there would be dyno brand and model preferences.
best regards,
no caps

Neville,
Nels is honestly a freak in how quickly he can do a tune, it’s ridiculous and I have no idea how he’s able to dial bikes in so quickly. Not just the rocket but bikes in general. I’m sure it has something to do with the sheer number of bikes he’s done.

Thank you for your input. I am indeed literally using the road as a dyno.

For everyone else:
I 100% do not encourage or condone anyone doing it. It’s a terrible idea and a very easy was to trash a motor or have an accident. I’ve been doing it this way since 2004 and STILL say it’s a bad idea. There have been a number of “incidents” that were near wrecks/trashed motors over the years. I only learned to street tune because of necessity, and I still use shop dyno time to validate my work.

Firstly, I am in no way pi$$ed off. I really cannot tune a rocket properly in three hours. Takes me about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 depending on a few things. I have to go tune a Victory now.. My mistake, not caps just big loud letters :).

Back