Lesson learned - Don't go to just any cycle shop

I always use my phone to slowly video my entire bike from stem to stern and I do it in the dealers parking lot where the dealers name is visible. The video has the date and time and the location minutes before I hand my bike over. I especially concentrate on the area they are working on. I have never had to use it but better to be safe.

I always use my phone to slowly video my entire bike from stem to stern and I do it in the dealers parking lot where the dealers name is visible. The video has the date and time and the location minutes before I hand my bike over. I especially concentrate on the area they are working on. I have never had to use it but better to be safe.
Great idea! I think I will start doing this and make sure that they see me doing it.

I'm still tearing into this. The exhaust was barley hanging on, the caliper cables were missing the bolts and the final drive had bolts that weren't even finger tight. they were literally backed out by a half inch. Initially I was mad about the tire. Turns out it was blessing. I have a planned 300 mile trip this spring and if this tire would have kept air, I would have rode it.

Attachments

• 20210203_181220.jpg
    20210203_181220.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210202_211953.jpg
    20210202_211953.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210202_163717.jpg
    20210202_163717.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 24
That's kinda how I got my Rocket - took a Suzuki 1500 Intruder in and over a year later it was still in pieces and the owner of the shop was in jail. Submitted a stolen vehicle report and the insurance claim covered the Rocket (which I'd already bought a few months back). Long frustrating experience, but best "trade" I ever made.

Used to trailer a first-year 883cc Daytona900 to a shop in Tulsa. They did good work but that bike needed a lot of TLC. I was always willing to pay, but there were so many local customers coming in with easier issues that brought in more revenue. They could fix six Bonnies in the time it would take to get my bike running.

When I realized that, started going to busy shops with tight schedules and potentially higher repair charges. They tend to have bad coffee, but good looking girls and toys to browse if you're not on their Wi-Fi ;)

I feel your pain- Every time, no matter where I took it, I got fresh new gouges on the rim from all the shops near me.
None could balance the rear and it was $50 with the wheel already off.
I figured out how to change my own tires and have never looked back. I change tires 3X/year. I know it isn't for everyone, but doing your own is something that you might want to consider.
Someone will be along shortly (just watch), on any tire-related post, to say that they just take it to xyz for $15- great if you live near xyz. That doesn't really help you with your problem.
This is my first time with the rear. With a firmly mounted stand and a couple of changes it gets waaaaay easier than seen here. Last time it was in the low 40s when I did the rear- no problem and less time than driving to and from the shop.

Last edited:
I feel your pain- Every time, no matter where I took it, I got fresh new gouges on the rim from all the shops near me.
I figured out how to change my own tires and have never looked back. I change tires 3X/year. I know it isn't for everyone, but doing your own is something that you might want to consider.
Someone will be along shortly (just watch), on any tire-related post, to say that they just take it to xyz for $15- great if you live near xyz. That doesn't really help you with your problem.
This is my first time with the rear. With a firmly mounted stand and a couple of changes it gets waaaaay easier than seen here. Last time it was in the low 40s when I did the rear- no problem and less time than driving to and from the shop.
3 times a year?!. You must realy love burnouts or you ride ALOT.

Ive never changed tubeless b4. Ive pinched a couple of tubes in the past, so tubeless should be at least a bit easier. Be good to invest in a tire machine for mc.

Back