Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
OK - Now I have NO IDEA what they're like BUT

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/JEEP-LED-Headlight/513528_501472894.html

Lot's of 7" options (R3T owners)
A 5&3/4" Option
4.5" Fogs (again T owners.)

And other stuff. Most are aesthetically copies of the JW-SPEAKER look

I am considering getting some http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...NT-KIT-TRUCK-CREE-LED/513528_32350404074.html to modify for fitting into some 4" shells I have.

NOT € or SAE rated.

I've had one eye on these guys for a while.

Cool Jim rmptkertd or what ever it is lets just say the messed up Cali guy seen some pics of new leds I'm running may be he will chime in there bright 3 years war and cost is great I should go look what the name is but getting ready to go ride can only get them there the dealer here in town but are 140 for the head light and 140 for fog lights they replace the bulb thats there no need to change anything else

OK - Now I have NO IDEA what they're like BUT

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/JEEP-LED-Headlight/513528_501472894.html

Lot's of 7" options (R3T owners)
A 5&3/4" Option
4.5" Fogs (again T owners.)

And other stuff. Most are aesthetically copies of the JW-SPEAKER look

I am considering getting some http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...NT-KIT-TRUCK-CREE-LED/513528_32350404074.html to modify for fitting into some 4" shells I have.

NOT € or SAE rated.

I've had one eye on these guys for a while.
are these the ones your talking about Chris

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...-5-65-Sealed-H4-Hi-Lo/513528_32355429126.html

They look pretty reasonable I will have to give it some thought as the normal lighting on a R3 with the headlight relay kit is pretty bright.

are these the ones your talking about Chris http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/40W-LED-Motorcycle-Headlight-Cree-Led-Headlights-Fit-6-or-5-65-Sealed-H4-Hi-Lo/513528_32355429126.html They look pretty reasonable I will have to give it some thought as the normal lighting on a R3 with the headlight relay kit is pretty bright.
Yup - that's the ones - They look like the OLD JW-Speaker 8630.

Do you want to see with them or let others see you better? - yes it matters.

I have the Old style JW-Speakers and they are simply unbelievable at night. They're the first lights on a bike that allow ME to ride as fast as I can during the day with a margin of visual safety.
This said the NEW JW Speaker 8630 EVO looks very different and has more light - especially high/main beam.
I've thought of upgrading - but decided against it. I want a little more dipped/low beam especially in bends. I think Perd's is getting some though.

(edited to add - On the Falcon - at night - in those moments of extreme hubris - I'd want the New JW Speaker 8630 EVO's in and a pair of JW Speaker 6150 fogs - at a minimum)

I am going to upgrade my aux/foglights though. Just trying to establish how best to achieve what I want. 4" lights.
I want to revisit my idea of a dipped light that lights more to the left when I bank left and another that does the right curves.
By the time I get it figured out - hell will have frozen over and pig's will fly. But it keeps me amused.

imo the BLACK faced ones grab other road users attention better. Sharp points of light from black and no sun glare from the chrome.

The problem with Triumph OEM lights whether you have EB kits, HID "bulbs" or LED "bulbs" is that the reflector/lens assembly itself is CRAP. A huge proportion of the light that they emit never sees road.
I recall seeing some numbers from a guy at Hella - that a GOOD sealed beam 5&3/4" light puts more light on the road than even a good H4 bulb 5&3/4". And the Triumph ones are NOT good.

Of course all that wasted light makes you very visible.

Last edited:
Cool Jim rmptkertd or what ever it is lets just say the messed up Cali guy seen some pics of new leds I'm running may be he will chime in there bright 3 years war and cost is great I should go look what the name is but getting ready to go ride can only get them there the dealer here in town but are 140 for the head light and 140 for fog lights they replace the bulb thats there no need to change anything else
About USD90 a pair from the same Chinese dealer. 4500lumens (raw not effective) more or less. This is HID bright.

But after having spent many many hours with lights and optics - they're only as good as the base reflector/lens unit.
I once dropped the light (made by Hella) from a Toyota 4WD into a Harley - Did not look as bright - but you could actually see at night.

Well made LED lights using properly designed optics will give you more precise light equating to the best H4 units at 35-40% of the wattage.

The thing of it is though that anything that isn't a full reflector-with-leds-in-it replacement is going to work poorly and be illegal. Reflectors are built very much for halogens only - it's crucial not only at what point the point light source is, but also in what pattern the light leaves the bulb. One millimeter off from stock can cause the light to go many meters wrong when it bounces off the reflector and shoots off a hundred meters down range. That can translate to blinding oncoming traffic and lighting up the woods instead of the road and seeing the road poorly yourself. This can literally lead to casualties.

Quite aside from crap stock reflectors, putting HIDs or LED "bulbs" in the stock reflector his absolutely not advisable, as well as illegal. Especially now that the price for full LED replacements have come down massively, you can buy JW Speaker models for a few hundred a pop, where they used to be just under a grand.

As for more low beam in the bends - the newer model 8700 Evo 2 has a hugely wider and taller beam pattern which should translate to much better low beam in curves. I assume they did the same thing with the 8630 Evo, though I have yet to see any tests, it only just came out.

As for more low beam in the bends - the newer model 8700 Evo 2 has a hugely wider and taller beam pattern which should translate to much better low beam in curves. I assume they did the same thing with the 8630 Evo, though I have yet to see any tests, it only just came out.
As they're bound by ECE 112 and ECE 113 I doubt they're really any different in this very specific area. And won't be as effective as bend or tilt lighting - as per ECE Reg053. And that's what I'm attempting. They wont just fill - they'll deliberately point off axis and be mounted at a slope - about 10º ish. At less than 3º tilt they will be off - legally anyway. This slop/cant angle thing is the most difficult bit to get right.

Remember as you tilt Left the headlight dip beam will be pointing right as it has to be 1.5º angled down compared to a horizontal main beam (by ECE law anyway).
I spent a lot of time watching headlights (yes I'm sad!) the broader the beam the more truncated it seems when banked.

I tried it with some lower power LEDS and it was OK - but the Aussie bank sensor I have is VERY sensitive so I need to build in some switch damping and hysteresis - the sensor accommodates this but to get much further I'm going to need something brighter with a sharper cut off and with solid state switching. Yes I know, PDM60's - but I need 2 independent circuits and 2 PDM60's for a trial is really a bit expensive. I have a pair of JW Speaker 6150's on the way - ordered them this morning.

Reflectors are built very much for halogens only
The 5&3/4" format was never really designed for anything but SEALED BEAMS. I have this from Hella.
The best standard 5&3/4" H4 bulb unit I've ever seen is made by Cibie - now in production again.
The Triumph R3 OEM is pretty close to the worst I've seen. And the materials quality is seriously very poor.

Back