Would not have wanted to be on the bridge during that. OOD and JOOD would have some explaining to do. Along with the quartermaster's.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Light houses are clearly marked on Navigation charts. Along with channel markings.

Last edited:
Judging by the most recent collision events concerning US Navy. The folks controlling the safe passage of our Navy vessels don't use the sophisticated multi-million dollar surveillance equipment, or for that matter look outside the bridge. Especially the last incident, how the heck do you fail to see an oil tanker bearing down on you!

Back in the day the Navy had a rate that usually stood watch one level over the Bridge. They were very skilled in visual communication and were considered the best lookouts on board. The Rate was done away with. A causality of modern technologies. Nickname (SKIVVY WAVER) EX SMC.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist sending that on to my old work mates at the Office for Transport Security. One of our tasks was monitoring maritime traffic and 'incidents' including Maritime Search and Rescue calls anywhere in the world - I don't think this one ever made 'Official Reporting'.;):D

When I was in The Air Force I worked on the F111F. When the Black Bird retired the F111 was the fastest bird in the air. The F111 was retired in 1995. Today there is no aircraft that can fulfill her roll.
There are rumors about a plane called the SR 91.

F-111F.jpg

Back