knocking /slapping noise ..revisited / SOLVED...

Good to hear mate.. Enjoy the ride.. Sometimes it's the simple things that get overlooked
Yeah it's definitely the tune me and Tbird girl have the same problem, same year of bike. Clevinger really helped me out with a tune. I don't wanna speak for him maybe he'll come to the rescue. He clearly invested tons of time and know what he's doing. My bike had the wrong tune on it anyway to boot. I went from 27avg. mpg to 36 mpg. My point I was pretty rich which should have helped some, but the timing is so advanced there (suspected emissions) that is doesn't matter. Good luck rolls.

Thanks Claviger! I was sitting here hoping you’d make it all better. Little trip to Arkansas happening next week.

Cheers,

Rolls

To be fair, the valve train really does sound like pinging when you've fitted a Ramair filter.

Crossing the desert at 90f yesterday on 91 octane with the built motor I had my concerns, but, no issues at all. It's way way way more knock prone than the stock setup.

To be fair, the valve train really does sound like pinging when you've fitted a Ramair filter.

Crossing the desert at 90f yesterday on 91 octane with the built motor I had my concerns, but, no issues at all. It's way way way more knock prone than the stock setup.

I’ve just experienced this “pinging” phenomenon. 2016 RTR with ramair and it sounds like pinging/ rattling around 1800-2100 rpm then goes away with more throttle. A bit unnerving at first, then I saw this post. I’m surprised the valve train makes this much noise as a result of fitting a ramair. What’s the science/ mechanics behind this, anyone know?

Not to alarm you, and my experience is limited, but I know I'd be a bit concerned (as you are since you posted) with pinging/rattling. Most folks comment on whistling or wooshing as their first reaction to RAMAir installation. I have never heard it myself, typically wearing earplugs when riding, or over-the-ears shooters' muffs when in the garage, so maybe i've just missed that sound.

Are you sure it's not something in the exhaust, or side panel, or some such ?

Not to alarm you, and my experience is limited, but I know I'd be a bit concerned (as you are since you posted) with pinging/rattling. Most folks comment on whistling or wooshing as their first reaction to RAMAir installation. I have never heard it myself, typically wearing earplugs when riding, or over-the-ears shooters' muffs when in the garage, so maybe i've just missed that sound.

Are you sure it's not something in the exhaust, or side panel, or some such ?

Thanks for the reply and feedback. What's interesting here is that I installed the ramair and rode the bike maybe 20 miles before I loaded a Hanso tune. Prior to the Hanso tune, I didn't have any pinging noises. So, I'll have to take look under the tank, around the exhaust for anything unusual or loose that might causing this. If nothing turns up, I may reload the original tune and see if I get the same pinging.

Back