It should be a simple question?

BillyIndiana

Road rash heals-Freckles grow back-Ride
Ride
2015 R3T
I am ready for an oil change and I have nothing against the Castrol 10W50, but I have always run AMSOil in my bikes and am thinking I should be fine running 10W40 in the bike. The AMSOil has always done well with transmissions.
Anyone running similar or should I stick with the recommended Castrol?

YEAH!!!!!! another oil thread. :p:p:p:p:p:whitstling:
I used the recommended Castrol in mine, every 10,000 miles, and with over 130,000 miles it dynoed with more horsies and torques than when new. The only mods were filters and exhaust pipes. As long as the oil meets the specs, and is suitable for wet clutches, then you will be fine.

YEAH!!!!!! another oil thread. :p:p:p:p:p:whitstling:
I used the recommended Castrol in mine, every 10,000 miles, and with over 130,000 miles it dynoed with more horsies and torques than when new. The only mods were filters and exhaust pipes. As long as the oil meets the specs, and is suitable for wet clutches, then you will be fine.
Ya I know, but I used the search feature and came up with nothing?

Bill, I have been using Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle specific oil for years. No issues, mind you there should be no real issues with any MC fully synthetic oil so long as it meets Triumph's specs. What do I consider an issue with oil? Well without getting into oil analysis for our bikes (which I did a lot in the Mining industry) I've found that our Rocket transmissions start to feel a bit snatchy (not sure if that's a word) shifting when the oil has some mileage on it. I find Amsoil and Mobil 4T give me the most life before that condition starts. Shell Rotella T6 doesn't last as long but is half the price. I haven't used Castrol but it should be fine also since it is fully synthetic meeting Triumph's oil spec. I also run my oil to the max mileage limit recommended or until that shifting issue starts. I don't believe in replacing oil too soon. Fully synthetic motorcycle specific Castrol, Amsoil, Mobil 4T etc etc in a 10W40, 15W50, 20W50 or anything with a 40 or 50 final weight will work.

Bill, I have been using Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle specific oil for years. No issues, mind you there should be no real issues with any MC fully synthetic oil so long as it meets Triumph's specs. What do I consider an issue with oil? Well without getting into oil analysis for our bikes (which I did a lot in the Mining industry) I've found that our Rocket transmissions start to feel a bit snatchy (not sure if that's a word) shifting when the oil has some mileage on it. I find Amsoil and Mobil 4T give me the most life before that condition starts. Shell Rotella T6 doesn't last as long but is half the price. I haven't used Castrol but it should be fine also since it is fully synthetic meeting Triumph's oil spec. I also run my oil to the max mileage limit recommended or until that shifting issue starts. I don't believe in replacing oil too soon. Fully synthetic motorcycle specific Castrol, Amsoil, Mobil 4T etc etc in a 10W40, 15W50, 20W50 or anything with a 40 or 50 final weight will work.
Thanks, I mean most of my bikes have been air cooled and the rocket is water cooled, but she can get hot and I always liked how Amsoil held up. My America loves it. I normally do not pay attention to the miles. I normally change it at the beginning of each season. I am sure with them being synthetic I am changing it too soon.

Motul is the only oil that meets JASO MA2 and API SG up to SN ratings (including Triumph's recommended SH). I use the 7100 10w50 4T and find it provides very smooth shifting and engine operation throughout the oil change interval. A lot of folks use Motul 300v, unfortunately it is not rated to meet any JASO or API standards, so I would question if it is good to use with longer oil change intervals. Castrol uses a low quality base stock and only rates SL. Mobile rates an SN. I find both oils loose the smooth transmission shifts after a couple of thousand miles. As a side note, Motul also makes a 10w60 for extreme environments.

I am ready for an oil change and I have nothing against the Castrol 10W50, but I have always run AMSOil in my bikes and am thinking I should be fine running 10W40 in the bike. The AMSOil has always done well with transmissions.
Anyone running similar or should I stick with the recommended Castrol?
I use Castrol 10w/40 Full synthetic and have had no trouble. Triumph used to recommend it.

Back