Is my '07 Classic about to explode?

Jagwire

Standard Bore
I was riding home tonight, decelerating down a hill using engine braking as I approached a red light. As I came to a stop, the bike stalled. I started it up again, to be greeted with a wholly new and not very healthy sound:

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch... in time with the revs. The bike then started backfiring and popping really loudly whenever I decelerated, and the noise stayed with me until I gingerly climbed off the bike in my garage.

The sound is coming from the left-hand side as I sit on it, from the area of the EFI. I'm concerned something has popped open or... well, I have no idea.

I thought I would run it by the gurus here so I don't sound like a total moron when I call the workshop :mad:

The original exhaust was replaced with louder slashies by the dealer - the whole kit. I've had the bike since Jan '07, brand new.

Otherwise I don't have any engine mods - everything else is just cosmetic factory stuff like dials, sissy bar etc.

For starters, prop the tank up, and check your intake system for cracks or loose parts. Check that all the MAP sensor hoses are connected. My bike had similar symptoms when I had a crack in the intake system, and again when I forgot to connect one of the MAP sensor hoses after doing a repair, in the latter case though the symptoms were far more severe and accompanied by some serious smoke out of the exhaust.

Back