Installing Triumph Front Dresser Bars

RocketJockey

.040 Over
So i have in hand my shiny new dresser bars and hope to install them tomorrow. The instructions tell me that I need to support the engine before removing the engine mounting bolts and attaching the bars. Being a man I always look for shortcuts, but not being an idiot I fully realize the possibility of the instructions being very important in some instances. My question is this, if I am doing them one at a time would it be safe to not support the engine and remove one side engine bolt then attach the dresser bars? I don't own a paddock stand, don't care to buy one and find it hard to believe that the engine could sag with only one side disattached. I'm hoping that this is one of those instructions that rank up their with "disattach the battery before changing the air filter".

..what the hell is a paddock stand?..now don't do any mods until ya got a bike jack and hard copy service manual to keep in the garage..the side bolts won't be a problem..the top long through bolt that holds the engine and frame together is where you might have problems..when I had mine apart for powder coating, I had the bike held upright with the jack, and a ratchet strap around the bars and up over the garage ceiling joists..didn't move much if I recall, but just a little will let not it line up to put the bolt back in..

There's only one bolt that goes through both sides... At least on mine it was that way. You could use some wood blocks. You don't want to lift it, just support it, so the holes stay lined up. If you lift it you'll have issues when you take that bolt out. Just support the engine with some blocks and make sure it's not going anywhere (chock the wheels)...
+1 I watched the dealership's mechanic put blocks under the engine and remove the bolt - the key is to keep the holes aligned. :D

Oh yes!!! support that engine at all costs!! ( one long bolt that has to be withdrawn all the way out) got or able to borrow a car jack? doesn't have to be too fancy, & get a mate to assist with support if you're unsure.

Maybe if i am not able to do it before the horn gets here we could do it the same time I come out to hook up the new Stebel. What sort of beer do you prefer...its kind of obligatory for me to bring some when getting such help.

My recommendation would be to get the dealership to do it, unless you have the means to support the engine and keep it dead still. If the holes for that one long both become misaligned at all, it is a total bastard to get the bolt back through. :oops:

My recommendation would be to get the dealership to do it, unless you have the means to support the engine and keep it dead still. If the holes for that one long both become misaligned at all, it is a total bastard to get the bolt back through. :oops:

Nah bollocks to that, it ain't that hard, I did mine solo with a simple car jack.

Back