Injectors, clean or replace

Gcarleton

.020 Over
Ride
2005 rocket 3
Hello all.
I am the proud owner of an 05 r3 with only 10k on it, I just bought it from the 2nd owner who let it sit for over a year without riding it.Needless to say the fuel was junk and she wouldn't start.
The road so far:
1 drain the tank fill with sacrificial fuel drain, replace the spark plugs again still no go
2 pull fuel rail drain all varnish
3 fill tank with 101 oct still won't run cough's and sputters but no run
4 a few drops of fuel in the air box and she wants to run but won't.
Here's where i ask for your opinion.
IMO its a fuel delivery problem, the question injectors or something else?
Should I bite the bullet and order new injectors or attemptto pull and clean the ones that are in there?

Could be just a clogged fuel filter or pick up mesh. A broken down fuel line in the tank has been reported and featured here. I think it was Steel who wrote that up. Blow some air through the pump while you are at it. It's a female dog to change but easier that dealing with the injectors.

Last edited:
For 90 bucks you can have cleaned and tested at rcinjectors, 1 day turn around, also fuel filter in tank is probably jacked up as stated above,

Attachments

• 00EB79A6-4916-4029-89D9-A3300DE63C2E.jpeg
    00EB79A6-4916-4029-89D9-A3300DE63C2E.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 9026CB19-F2E7-4C57-92B1-F48E8BB76D12.jpeg
    9026CB19-F2E7-4C57-92B1-F48E8BB76D12.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1231470D-B591-4856-8D21-7BED97F84ACE.jpeg
    1231470D-B591-4856-8D21-7BED97F84ACE.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6182A92F-8231-4D3C-AF1C-4BE63E086FAD.jpeg
    6182A92F-8231-4D3C-AF1C-4BE63E086FAD.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 33
Could be just a clogged fuel filter or pick up mesh. A broken down fuel line in the tank has been reported and feature here. I think it was Steel who wrote that up. Blow some air through the pump while you are at it. It's a female dog to change but easier that dealing with the injectors.
Good call, it dawned on me after I posted thatI hadn’t even checked the output of the fuel pump, I will give it a test when I get back home. thanks for the input.
BTW does this bike use O2sensors? I don’t see any in the pipes.

Stock it did. It could have been removed by the previous owner.
Good call, it dawned on me after I posted thatI hadn’t even checked the output of the fuel pump, I will give it a test when I get back home. thanks for the input.
BTW does this bike use O2sensors? I don’t see any in the pipes.
The previous owner did say the person he bought it from had done a cat delete, but with fuel injection I don't know why you would pull the O2 sensors unless the fuel injection doesn't rely on them for its maping.

Could be just a clogged fuel filter or pick up mesh. A broken down fuel line in the tank has been reported and feature here. I think it was Steel who wrote that up. Blow some air through the pump while you are at it. It's a female dog to change but easier that dealing with the injectors.
Well the bad news is that I pulled the fuel ling off the rail looks like it makes about 6lbs of pressure for about 5 second when key goes on and looks clean and a good flow, I'm guessing it only does a short run until engine starts?
Wondering if anyone has pulled injectors without pulling carbs? I was able to pull fuel rail while leaving carbs in place but the manual says to pull carbs :(

Well the bad news is that I pulled the fuel ling off the rail looks like it makes about 6lbs of pressure for about 5 second when key goes on and looks clean and a good flow, I'm guessing it only does a short run until engine starts?
Wondering if anyone has pulled injectors without pulling carbs? I was able to pull fuel rail while leaving carbs in place but the manual says to pull carbs :(

I don't know how to answer that question. I see no reason for that design feature but I'm sure someone in the know will chime about that. I just can't see all three injectors becoming clogged at the same time. If it has pressure while on start up sequence if should start.

The previous owner did say the person he bought it from had done a cat delete, but with fuel injection I don't know why you would pull the O2 sensors unless the fuel injection doesn't rely on them for its maping.
Lots of the tunes are set with the O2 sensor off. Removing them is possible but not necessary .

6 lbf/in^2 - is that blinded before the regulator?
Not experienced with Rockets, but with a Harley V-rod or BMWK1300 / R1100, if you only have 6 psi blinded, it's not going to run. On the Harley/BMW you would need 25-30+ and hold it after the fuel pump shuts off.

Maybe someone with Rocket experience will chime in. While you are waiting - hunt down any post by user IDK and download a manual from the link in his signature

Back