Initial Ride Feedback

Seems fairly quick, I'd guess right around 150 at the wheel. Certainly sounds like a rocket 3 still :). I hear more overlap I think from the cams than the old model.

You can clearly see the riders not accustomed to the agility and gets surprised by it, exactly as predicted based on the geometry.

134 kph is top of 2nd gear. Confirms my prediction that gearing is shorter overall than the 5 speed. Triumphs own PR disclosure said 6th at 80MPH is right around 3000 RPM. This means 6 gears covering the same span or very similar that we have with 5. Kind of missed the whole point of a 6 speed transmission paired to a high torque engine.

What it does mean.... A 150whp gen 2 is going to absolutely slaughter a 160whp 1st gen, sry guys. Less weight, broader power band, shorter gears, quickshifter, it's no contest and I expect it's going to murder the Diavel as well. So much for the "clone" more like the real deal.

Last edited:
Seems fairly quick, I'd guess right around 150 at the wheel. Certainly sounds like a rocket 3 still :). I hear more overlap I think from the cams than the old model.

You can clearly see the riders not accustomed to the agility and gets surprised by it, exactly as predicted based on the geometry.

130ish kph is top of 2nd gear. Confirms my prediction that gearing is shorter overall than the 5 speed. Triumphs own PR disclosure said 6th at 80MPH is right around 3000 RPM. This means 6 gears covering the same span or very similar that we have with 5. Kind of missed the whole point of a 6 speed transmission paired to a high torque engine.

What it does mean.... A 150whp gen 2 is going to absolutely slaughter a 160whp 1st gen, sry guys. Less weight, broader power band, shorter gears, quickshifter, it's no contest and I expect it's going to murder the Diavel as well. So much for the "clone" more like the real deal.

Of course I'm waiting on gear ratios and read your info above about the rom in 6th at 80 being about 3000.

I just found this write up this morning which in my opinon is a little confusing
I must say I like the gearing they're boasting about but you would think at 70 mph 6th gear just under 2000 rpms ( sounds like R3R turbo's gear ratio) yet it only gets 41.5 mpg ???

Thankfully you don't have to compromise. Triumph has made the peg positioning interchangeable between both models, so you can have the ground clearance to keep up with the sportsbikes in the corners with the R model, or the laid back cruising style of the GT. Both share the same 2.5 litre three-pot motor, letting you choose between ticking along at 70 with the cruise control set in top gear effortlessly at under 2000rpm - or you can drop a gear and stretch its legs all the way up to 150+ (on a closed road, of course)

That write up seems ill informed, top speed is limited to 138mph according to MCN, and real world MPG is more like 35, for a typical refuel interval of 140 miles or so, using the 3/4 of a gallon reserve untouched.

Need more footage for some more shots of speed vs gear!

The MCN write up seems to be the best one I've found so far.

TRIUMPH ROCKET 3 (2020-on) Review

Visordown has a write up, slightly more critical, but mentions nothing about numbers (they do show a marketing Dyno plot though):
Triumph Rocket 3 (2020) review

Last edited:
Last night when i read this thread, there was a video of the actual riders POV while riding it. Now i dont see it. Was I dreaming?

Back