Captain Bob

Supercharged
Soooooo, went to start my 08 R3T, turned the key and..... nothing. No lights, no nothing.

Checked the battery and had 12.76 volts. All fuses are OK. I ran the bike last evening and parked it in my garage until this pm when this issue started. I went to work (via cage) and upon return from work, pulled the instrument cluster of to see the ignition swithch, then removed one of the plastic side panels at the steering head. I felt under the switch but could not find any wires. I did wiggle a few wires under the tank but did not see anything out of the ordinary. I put everything back together, turned the key on and..... voila! we have lights! I then promptly started the bike right up. Seems to be working OK now.

Does this sound like the Ignition Switch on its way out? Do you think it is too late for the EB H4 Kit?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

It does sound like a switch time. but I would go ahead and put in that EB kit to it will make your headlights off whole lot brighter and you will not have ignition trouble anymore cross our fingers.

I would suspect there still may be a problem seeing that when you wiggled the wires around the switch the bike started. when you install the lite relays you should double check the switch, and wires in that area. My buddy with a Nomad melted the solder off the switch terminals cause his lite bar went thru the switch. your switch may have damage inside or out.

Sorry man, sounds like you've fallen prey to the Triumph R3 Ignition Switch Affliction. TRISA has been classified a British virus where all Rocket III owners are susceptible and only preventable through an inoculation invented by Eastern Beaver Pharmaceuticals.

Once infected, an immediate regiment of afflicted area replacement and bypass operation is required for full recovery and reinfection prevention.

LOL :rolleyes:

Well, at least it didn't leave you on the highway like it did me. ;)

it could be that the plug under the instrument cluster was not plug all the way in that is what happen to me a couple weeks ago

Regardless of whether it was just a "loose wire" or actually the ignition switch, for $75 and about an hour of your time...install the Eastern Beaver relay and you will not have to worry about the bike not starting due to the ignition problem again. I debated on the EB relay, thinking "it won't happen to me...", until it happened to me. Installed the relay (very simple to install) and have had ZERO issues since. Triumph should install the relay themselves as part of the production process....

Good luck

Thanks for the responses. I am going to order and install the EB kit ASAP. Hopefully, will order the kit Monday. Interestingly enough, After it started working again, I thought I would take it for a spin. I went to start it and after turning on the ignition switch, the lights came on but no sounds of fuel pump and, it would not spin over when depressing the starter button. I toggled the kill switch (which was off) a few times and it started right up. Something is definitely not right. I do need to look at loose wires under the tank.

I spoke with my dealer and they have no knowledge of the ignition switch problem. I am calling them today and asking them to contact Triumph for an update onm the issue. There are two things I am concerned about. I am heading to the AMA Superbike races in NJ early September, I do not want to get stranded on the sdide of the road, Secondly, my warranty is up in September. I want to make sure this issue is covered.

THe plug under the instrament cluster is an interesting thought. The dealer recently replaced my fues sensor in the tank. He had the cluster off. Perhaps it was not fully engaged when he reconnected. After I experienced the no start issue, I had removed the cluster to look at the ignoition switch. After I put everything back together, it started right up. Perhaps that was the issue?

Ok I have read enough on this problem. I have not had it, but I dont want it. Which Eastern Beaver kit is the one I would use on a R3T?

"I spoke with my dealer and they have no knowledge of the ignition switch problem."

Hmmm...another Triumph dealer who has never heard of the "ignition switch problem"....

This must be a well-planned and carried-out conspiracy by Triumph and their dealers against us R3 owners....how could any dealer (or Triumph HQ) not have heard of this wide-spread problem and continue to deny it's existence?

I rec'd my Eastern Beaver harness this week...came all the way from Japan in only a week.
Hope to install it next week. Also bot the EB fuse panel...gonna clean up all those wires goin to my batt: Stebel horn, heated gear jack, headlight relay, Flash-2-Pass wire, aux plug for Droid charger, et al.

Back