I'm new to the R3R world

Welcome from just over the state line in Florida. How big is that hole anyway and where is it located. I once punctured a new Avon Venom tire with a nail. I contacted the Ride-On tire sealant company and spoke with the owner who recommended that I give his stuff a try. I ordered a tube of Ride-On sealant and leaving the nail in place I added the sealant as per his instructions. I then jumped on the bike and rode it for 5 miles after topping off the air. I stopped back at the house, pulled the nail and got back on. There was a rush of air and then about 1/2 way around the block it stopped completely. 13 thousand miles later I replaced the tire from wear. The Ride-On stuff worked well. Just an option for you to consider. And dont confuse Ride-On with Green Slime. Two different products.

gDog, post: 246256, member: 5035"]Welcome from just over the state line in Florida. How big is that hole anyway and where is it located. I once punctured a new Avon Venom tire with a nail. I contacted the Ride-On tire sealant company and spoke with the owner who recommended that I give his stuff a try. I ordered a tube of Ride-On sealant and leaving the nail in place I added the sealant as per his instructions. I then jumped on the bike and rode it for 5 miles after topping off the air. I stopped back at the house, pulled the nail and got back on. There was a rush of air and then about 1/2 way around the block it stopped completely. 13 thousand miles later I replaced the tire from wear. The Ride-On stuff worked well. Just an option for you to consider. And dont confuse Ride-On with Green Slime. Two different products.[/QUOTE]
This sounds like a good option. Thanks

gDog, post: 246256, member: 5035"]Welcome from just over the state line in Florida. How big is that hole anyway and where is it located. I once punctured a new Avon Venom tire with a nail. I contacted the Ride-On tire sealant company and spoke with the owner who recommended that I give his stuff a try. I ordered a tube of Ride-On sealant and leaving the nail in place I added the sealant as per his instructions. I then jumped on the bike and rode it for 5 miles after topping off the air. I stopped back at the house, pulled the nail and got back on. There was a rush of air and then about 1/2 way around the block it stopped completely. 13 thousand miles later I replaced the tire from wear. The Ride-On stuff worked well. Just an option for you to consider. And dont confuse Ride-On with Green Slime. Two different products.
This sounds like a good option. Thanks[/QUOTE]
The nail is very small it is located in the middle of the rear tire down in the grove.

Its a good location for a Ride-On repair but just keep something in mind, especially with a Roadster. If you decide to "smoke" the tire with all of that power that alone could also put some stress on the hole itself. When I used it on my old bike, A Yamaha Venture, I did not do any aggressive riding but I did do a lot of highway riding and it held up well. A very small hole should hold up well but there are no guarantees if you know what I mean. A new tire is always the best option but the Ride-On should give you some time to wear the tire out.

I would only use a plug as a roadside emergency repair and then keep the speed down until I could replace the tire at the first opportunity. For me the money spend on the new tire is very cheap piece of mind.

I would only use a plug as a roadside emergency repair and then keep the speed down until I could replace the tire at the first opportunity. For me the money spend on the new tire is very cheap piece of mind.

G'day from another Aussie I have plugged quite a few tyres on the road side on bikes, trailers cars and 4WDs and have found if the puncture is a small hole the patches are fine but if some of the belts in the tyre are cut the tyre flexes and the plug fails ,we used to put patches on the inside of tubed 1000x20 truck tyres on the trailers but never on the steer wheels or on the drive wheels , just rotated them to the trailers,but if you don't feel confident just dice the tyre ,or you will be waiting nervously for it to fail every time you ride.

Plug it. What's the worst that can happen? A slow leak? I've run plugs for thousands of kms with never a problem, not even a slow leak. Steer clear of any of that goo you can squirt in. It's useless as puncture protection except right down the middle, can through you wheel out oif balance and can corrode your rims. Plus youe next tyre fitter will hate you. Unless the tyre has a tear in it, plug it.

Back