I'm fed up now!

Have you bypassed the switch? perhaps its just a faulty starter switch. its usually the simplest thing that is the hardest to diagnose.

Thanks for your replies.

At first he said it was the relay switch, and I said that it was changed a few months ago which he thought was strange. Then he did the power test from pressing the starter button to starter relay. The power to relay was weak as the bulb flickered ocassionally and at best lit the bulb up and the engine started. He then said it was a problem at the starter button with the contact not being good.
He was doing me a quick favour as they don't work on bikes there and they were busy. They didn't charge either.

Do the Rockets have a ground or something at the starter? not sure if mine does to be honest. Also, I haven't bypassed the switch "yet". It still could be a dodgy relay, but was replaced only a few months back.

i guess the bottom line is, why isn't the starter relay getting enough power from pressing the starter button alone, and only enough power sometimes on some presses?

Will need to check the ground at the button.:)

Just connect a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the handlebars (just to test use a jumper cable) and check that the starter button works. If the handlebars don't for some reason have a ground wire it will have to take what ever path is available. This can be through the headstock bearing, clutch cable or brake lines which are not that reliable.

Thanks Goth.

I've just got back from opening up the ignition switch and checked for good contact. I put all back together nice and tight, and now it seems to me that I wasn't having a good strong contact between the two plates via spring. I've just started the engine about 6 times in a row, 1st time, with 1 press each. So now I'm suspecting that it was all due to poor conection at the button.

Time will tell.

I hate to add confusion to this but his troubleshooting is only accurate if he was testing the actual lead from the starter button at the relay. If he was testing the out put side of the relay going to the starter then nothing has been nailed down. You need to know if he was testing the white and red wire which is the one from the starter switch.As I recall the other day when you provided a constant 12v from the battery it started everytime. that would indicate the starter button is doing its job.

As I recall the rocket doesnt use the starter button as ground. It just supplied 12 v to the relay to activate it. The problem is the main feed line to the relay isnt getting the correct voltage. If you follow the wiring diagram I posted I am confident it will fix your problem.

Hi Honker,

The wire he was testing was direct from the button, without the clutch pulled in, if that helps. So far so good with the extra turning of the screw that holds the starter button contacts in place. It's been starting first time really strong every time. But, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I believe he was testing only the red and white to check the power feed by only pressing the button without clutch pulled in.

Your fix is still in reserve for me. Maybe I've been lucky and fixed it, not getting my hopes up too high at the moment.

Back