I'm fed up now!

RockyIII

Supercharged
Guys, I just don't know what to do anymore.
My bike just won't start in neutral. The only way I can start the engine is by putting in first gear, with the ignition on, and rock the bike back and forth a few times and you hear a faint electrical sound, then while sitting on the bike, side stand up, still in first, the bike starts much more easily after 2-3 presses.

My resting charge is 12.8v but when it eventually starts in 1st gear, my non standard digital display shows low volts, so something is draining the battery too much on start up.

does anyone out there have any ideas as how to reduce this drop in start up voltage? It's just a mystery to me I'm afaid.

Thanks for your help chaps. I read something about a metal strap to the frame or something from the starter maybe but not sure.

Have you ever replaced your ignition switch. My bike was doing some different stuff but along the same lines and it was the switch. :rolleyes:

now...ive stared at my screen with a confused frown....this sounds extremely odd.

i dont get the neutral issue....if its a volts issue, surely the neutral gear indicator isnt drawing enough power to stop it starting...if it is just a charge issue then gear shouldnt be related should it???

go back a few steps. is it only on cold start or every start? is it intermittent? whats it actually doing when you try starting it in neutral? not turning,not kicking or nothing at all? judging by your pic you've done a lot of mods...how much other stuff is drawing load when ignition is on?

have you tried keeping kill switch on, turning ignition, flicking kill off then starter?

Hi there guys,

I can't if it's the ignition switch. When I press the button, in neutral, I get the usual sounds, I hear the louder click but just doesn't turn over.
I always leave the kill switch in the on/run position.
My digital display might be the cause, as it's a bright Dakota model from US. That might be drawing too much current.
Will taking the fuse for the heated grips out help.

About the first gear thing, a few people hear in Brazil told me to do that, but I don't want to keep doing that. Why does it start when I do that anyway.

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestion, cheers again.

Edit: this happens all the time, cold, hot, but is better after a run most of the time.

Just came back from, trying to start it and all the same problems, but managed to get it started in neutral after lots of trying.

It makes all the noises, relay, fuel pump etc and the loud click underneath when you hit the starter, but boy it takes an awful lot of presses and turning the ignition on and off before it decides to start up, and sometimes i never get it started and can't ride or take the car instead, it's ridiculous.

Is there something that can be done to reduce voltage or something?
I really suspect that too much voltage is being drawn for whatever reason because the battery is strong and healthy, and there's no cold weather to speak of where I am in Brazil. It's winter and in the 20's.

Has the ignition switch ever been replaced. I could be wrong but if it has not ever been replaced and had the eastern beaver kit instaled I would look at it real close. Does it ever die at 2 mph or 70 mph or just will not start. :eek:

It's just extremely difficult to start. It never dies once started, idles very well and never cuts out on the move. The only problem is starting the BEAST!

That might do the trick WARP. Should I just spray WD40 around the contacts once opened, or should I be more careful than that?

Thanks. i'll get on to that and see how I do. Bye the way, i cleaned the crank angle sensor on sunday, but made no difference at all.

cheers

Here is a link I posted on another forum. I have posted what you need to do to fix the problem.This will stop it from happening.

It could also be a bad starter motor.

I had the same thing happen once on my old 1984 Honda Nighthawk. Stopped the bike for gas but then it wouldn't start. Put in gear and a good push moved the starter away from the bad spot and it fired right up like it always did.

I really gotta get that one going again.....

Back