Ignition Problem.

The keyless system I use also works well, if you can do the work yourself. The EB kit, or something similar, is essential though if you want better lights and no ignition problems.

Right then, I connected up the battery today for the first time, since I got the bike. The ignition lights up fine, needles in clocks go fully over then back to start point. On pressing the starter button, the engine turns over happily, but does not fire up. Tomorrow, if I get a chance I will remove the tank and check for a spark. The previous owner suggested there was no spark when he tried. Out of interest, it's a late 04 model with only 6500 miles on the clock.
If it's a no spark, does anyone have a trouble shooting guide?

Cheers

when u first turn on ign and the needles sweep then do u hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds?
also the fuel might be bad.
u might put a little starting fluid in it to separate spark from fuel problem.

Ive got the same problem & had it for 12 months or more, everything seems ok but press the start & nothing happens, lights stay on & starter relay doesn't click, its totally dead. Sometimes it starts on second go. sometimes its bloody embarrassing but so far it has always started eventually.A new battery a few weeks ago seems to help but not eradicated the problem. Im looking at fitting a new earth lead to the engine block earth point & new power lead to the starter motor. Ive checked the pump, start button. starter relay, clutch switch & side stand switch, can't find anything wrong. It needs a bigger brain than mine, but thats not difficult. Just on the point, how does the clutch switch come out?its a bit loose but it does work ok, Id like to tighten it up if I can.

Back