Ignition Problem.

Punker

.040 Over
Ride
Trimph Rocket 3 Classic
My bike died last week and it has been in the dealers garage since last Wednesday. The problem was after riding it for a few hours, getting back on it you turn the ignition and nothing. This happened 3 times over the space of two months but the bike started after 15 minutes on the first two occasions but the third time it wouldn't start at all in the morning or afternoon or even the following morning so I had it towed to the dealers.

Three days before the last breakdown we had rode 160 miles on it so it's not the battery.

I had a call from the dealer yesterday and they can't find anything wrong with the bike. They said that it's had the upgrade for the known ignition problem on the Rocket but since they have had my bike it starts first time each time they try it.

I'm picking the bike up tomorrow morning but I'm Starting to lose my confidence in the bike now. Anyone else had this problem?

Just a thought. Is your neutral light working OK? If your Gear Position Sensor is acting up - or even just dirty - it can stop the bike starting with the stand down if it doesn't think it's in neutral. This could be an intermittent problem.

Is the needles doing the sweep at all or are you just getting any life in the bike at all, just wondering if the starter relay is overheating or possibly the ignition switch, you said they did the ignition upgrade but what did they actually do?

The update kit had a fix for the wiring harness but never addressed the real cause of the overheated wires. If you have not done the headlight relay fix then I would look there first. Chances are the ignition switch is burning out and a wire is coming unsoldered or is about to.

The update kit had a fix for the wiring harness but never addressed the real cause of the overheated wires. If you have not done the headlight relay fix then I would look there first. Chances are the ignition switch is burning out and a wire is coming unsoldered or is about to.
that is what I was thinking and why I asked what they had they had done in the upgrade, it sure sounds like the switch is overheating going to be drop a wire anytime soon, typically the dealer started from cold so switch would not have been overheating as yet when they were testing

Last edited:
trouble shooting tree
questions
MODIFIED ON 5/12/14
#1 when you turn the key on does the needles sweep and the headlights come on yes go to # 2
or no could be battery,ignition switch,fuses,connectors under the tank,engine management relay,ect

#2 does the green light come on for neutral yes go to #3
or no could be not in neutral, bad gear sensor,wiring

#3 with the clutch lever pulled in push starter button does the engine turn over yes go to #4
or no could be bad starter button, bad kick stand or not all the way up, bad starter relay, bad battery or bad connections at battery,

#4 the engine is turning over good does the motor start yes your are ok till problem shows up.
or no. Can you hear the fuel running for about 2 seconds as soon as you turn the key on yes go to #5
or no could be bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay,wiring

#5 assuming the fuel pump has enough pressure the problem could be terminals at coils,bad gas,injector or injector wiring.

we have seen connectors,fuse terminals, the wire on ign. switch melting,

this is just a helping hand and does not cover all problems. there may be mistakes in this as i have not spent a lot of time typing this. i may make changes latter and welcome info from hanso, warp and others to correct the info i have typed here.

hope this helps herman
i have been a mechanic for 50 years. the last 39 years i have had my own automatic transmission business and worked on vehicles with many types of electrical problems,like ign. switches, computer problems, shorts, failed relays, and vehicles worked on by other mechanics, ect.
over a period of time the ignition switch gets bad because of the arching when you first turn it on. when your bike is new everything works great and the current to the lights is good. after your bike (and your ign switch) gets some miles on it the ign. switch will no longer flow enough current through the contacts. this causes access heat and can melt the main white wire off the switch, also can cause the connector under the tank to go bad.
many people has installed the eastern beaver or relays to correct this situation, which is very good advice. however you still have the ign. switch with bad contacts that is feeding the starter. some people (like me) has also taken the starter solenoid out of this circuit and have had no problem with the ign. switch.
in the older rockets the power comes from battery through fuse #11 through fuse #2 then by white wire to ign. switch through fuse #9 through the starter relay to headlights.
the best way to check is while you are having the problem is to check voltage from ground to fuse #9 if it is less than 8 volts you need to replace ign. switch. if you are short on money you could possibly get by and do eastern beaver(or relay mods) and take the starter solenoid out of the circuit(starter relay mod)
when i first came to this site i knew very little about the rocket my knowledge was gained through the problems posted and a lot of good guys taking there time to try and help us with our problems. i would like thank those of you that welcome newbies and spend time helping us with our problems.
herman

Last edited:
that is what I was thinking and why I asked what they had they had done in the upgrade, it sure sounds like the switch is overheating going to be drop a wire anytime soon, typically the dealer started from cold so switch would not have been overheating as yet when they were testing

That is a real interesting post, and might help my problem of the engine turning over but not firing up. The original owner fitted another ignition switch on the left hand side below the seat. I'm not keen on that and would like to restore the original switch (still in place) and, as you suggest, fit the eager beaver mod. Do you have any other ideas regarding it not firing up?

The keyless system I use also works well, if you can do the work yourself. The EB kit, or something similar, is essential though if you want better lights and no ignition problems.

Back