I think I am going to do it, reluctantly....

Tough decision but it's better to ride something that works for you. I would imagine you could pick up a Spyder for not too much more money than what your Rocket is worth. I have a friend who lost a leg and shattered her hip in a bike accident and after only 1 year off she bought a Spyder and loves it. She walks with a cane and has no issues getting on and off or storing her stuff. Don't let guys bash you for riding something they don't think is cool. Ride what keeps you happy and on the road. Best of luck.

Tough decision but it's better to ride something that works for you. I would imagine you could pick up a Spyder for not too much more money than what your Rocket is worth. I have a friend who lost a leg and shattered her hip in a bike accident and after only 1 year off she bought a Spyder and loves it. She walks with a cane and has no issues getting on and off or storing her stuff. Don't let guys bash you for riding something they don't think is cool. Ride what keeps you happy and on the road. Best of luck.

I've a good friend that has a Spyder & rides 2 up with his wife. He put an aftermarket exhaust on it & it goes purty dang fast

I suffered a bad ankle fracture that led to selling my Valkyrie. Did not ride for 10 years. Once I retired, my legs started to get weak and me just bored so I bought a Magna 750 to see if I could get back in the hobby. Rapidly recovered my balance and considerable leg strength. The motorcycle is a rehab device. I was surprised of how much one uses the legs while on the motorcycle.

If you can afford it, keep the bike. Tell your rehab tech that your goal is to ride the bike. Ask your Orthopedist how much of your strength and balance you should get back once it is operated on. Work hard on your rehab and you will be on the bike soon.

IMG_0062.jpg The Magna

Took a fall today because my legs were too wobbly. I also drove 600 miles yesterday picking up my new Mustang and let me tell you, the as****** on the road scared the hell out of me. I was cut off several times and they were all texting! My wife and I decided that maybe getting back on the bike may not be such a good thing for me after all. 30 years without going down is pretty good I think. I will be posting the Rocket for sale real soon. It is a great bike in great condition. I just wish that I could have enjoyed her more.

Link Removed

Last edited:
been a few posts last couple weeks about a few going down(as you call it)have to agree 30 yrs a pretty good go.how much respect does a man deserve when he says he just cant do it anymore especially something he loves you say you bought it within the "family and would like to keep it the "family"seems to me as youre part of the "family"and theirs going to be a lot of :family"reaching out to see if you need anything. im sure the bike also wishes it could have enjoyed you more

been a few posts last couple weeks about a few going down(as you call it)have to agree 30 yrs a pretty good go.how much respect does a man deserve when he says he just cant do it anymore especially something he loves you say you bought it within the "family and would like to keep it the "family"seems to me as youre part of the "family"and theirs going to be a lot of :family"reaching out to see if you need anything. im sure the bike also wishes it could have enjoyed you more
YOU can do it if you keep yourself in the proper health like exercise and diet that we all need to do anyway if we want to live healthy and happy

YOU can do it if you keep yourself in the proper health like exercise and diet that we all need to do anyway if we want to live healthy and happy

That's true Art. I'm always preaching that to people around me because that's the mantra I try to live by..........
BUT, My wife (who is of course smarter than me) warns me not to get too arrogant because so many things can happen to us that are beyond of our control, no matter how hard we try to stay in shape. Stay humble my friends ;)

BD, you gotta' do what you gotta' do. Big props to you for recognizing both the health and safety issues.

That is one good looking machine you have and it would be a shame to divorce her before knowing whether or not your knee's stability and strength can be substantially restored by the knee replacement surgery. Since you're not physically able to ride safely as things are now, maybe you should wait until after the surgery and rehab to make such a big decision... then again, maybe not? It's an agonizing decision, but I'm confident that you will make the best decision for yourself and your family.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's true Art. I'm always preaching that to people around me because that's the mantra I try to live by..........
BUT, My wife (who is of course smarter than me) warns me not to get too arrogant because so many things can happen to us that are beyond of our control, no matter how hard we try to stay in shape. Stay humble my friends ;)
YES lots of surprises that can happen but taking care of ourselves is a good idea that helps us with everything we do SO best we can do is try to stay healthy and have fun and keep doing the things we love to do

Well ..... you grabbed it by the tail and gave it a good shake for 30 years. We all have mates that never got to make the decision to stop .... feel blessed you have opportunity. Lest we forget.

See you ..... up the road a bit, good luck mate.

Back