kingmerle

child of the king
Ride
08 R3T
Need best options. I overtightened my clutch handle bar grip and stripped the threads. It only moves slightly now, but I know it will get worse over time. I only have heard about heilicoils but have never tried to do one. Is this an option for me? I appreciate your help

Take it your talking about the clamp that clamps the clutch assembly to the bars?

I have used helicoils a lot on old bikes before to repair stripped threads. For it to work it is drilled to the next metric size (being metric threads), tapped to the next size up (probably M7 or M8) and the SS insert is put in and locked, then you can use your stock bolt.

Now I have an R3 std and I think it uses a different block to the Touring, and the sad news is I went and had a look at the clamping system and there is not enough meat to be able to drill and tap for the insert to go into, the metal just too thin. Unless the design is substantially different.

Think you need a new block. Just a thought I'm not certain the blocks are unique to Triumph so another brand may be exactly the same, probably easier to get and cheaper.

Most engineering suppliers will have a heli coil kit for those threads. It consists of an oversize tap and drill. Several helicoils and the installation tool. You just need to identify the thread eg: M5 or M6.

Single size heli coil kits aren't too expensive, they are expensive if you buy a kit to do multiple sizes. BTW you can source these on eBay as well.

Something to consider is Form-a-Thread. i've used it over the years in various applications on vintage Triumph applications. If it is a clamp with two screws, use the application on the stripped screw, tighten with the other screw loose. Let it sit overnight and then carefully tighten the good screw the next day

Back