I know what just can't figure out why

BillB

Turbocharged
Ride
2013 R3T, 1960 Franken-Pan
Doing the fuel filter on my R3T and found the strangest thing (even for Triumph)

20180120_100302.jpg

At the intake end of the fuel pump there is a rubber boot/cup with stainless steel screen around the normal filter. From there a hose goes to the relief port on the regulator.

So for some reason Triumph wants the fuel that gets dumped by the regulator to go right back to the pick up on the pump.

What Has me scratching my head is this setup is only on the touring (best I can tell). All the other models just blown the excess right out of the relief port back into the tank.

Anybody have a guess? It even had Scott @warp9.9 scratching his head (and that doesn't happen very often)

Doing the fuel filter on my R3T and found the strangest thing (even for Triumph)

20180120_100302.jpg

At the intake end of the fuel pump there is a rubber boot/cup with stainless steel screen around the normal filter. From there a hose goes to the relief port on the regulator.

So for some reason Triumph wants the fuel that gets dumped by the regulator to go right back to the pick up on the pump.

What Has me scratching my head is this setup is only on the touring (best I can tell). All the other models just blown the excess right out of the relief port back into the tank.

Anybody have a guess? It even had Scott @warp9.9 scratching his head (and that doesn't happen very often)

Cavitation? There is talk in high-performance circles of the recirculated fuel being "blown" back into the tank and "aerating" the fuel to an extent that affects the fuel density and thus the A/F ratio being fed to the engine (which the ECU would not know about and would not correct.)

But it is a very technical point which would hardly be relevant to a fuel system as agricultural as the Rocket's.

Warp might have to scratch harder .......

Back