How to modify the fender for 55 profile tyre

Nungers

.060 Over
Ride
2011 R3R
I cant find the thread that gives the instructions on how to modify the rear fender to fit a 55 profile tyre. Anybody out there that can help
cheers

I seem to remember the suggestion was to add a plastic or metal strip to support the inner fender and raise it up an inch to accomodate the taller tire.

I cant find the thread that gives the instructions on how to modify the rear fender to fit a 55 profile tyre. Anybody out there that can help
cheers
Ive done this on 3 bikes now...
I cut a small rectangular piece from galvanized plate about 2 inches by 1 inch.
It's alot easier if you remove the rear wheel as i did by putting the bike up on a stand. The small plate you have shaped fits on the right side of the hugger(looking from the rear of the bike towards the front) where it is bolted to the bike.
I drilled two holes in the plate, one about 1 inch above the other.
After painting the plate i bolted the bottom of the plate to the bike in the hole where the hugger was attached and used a stainless bolt, washer and nut to attach the hugger to the plate. This lifts the hugger an inch higher than it was.
Now you have to go to the left side of the bike and pack the hugger up where the bolt attaches the hugger to the bike. There is a third bolt in the middle which i left unpacked. This allows the hugger to lift and tilt back in the middle when finished.

I have just done this yesterday on the GT i have just bought...its a tad too high for my liking so i will lower it a bit..

P.S. The torque settings for the wheel nuts is 110nm.

20240217_120549.jpg
20240217_120557.jpg
20240217_120612.jpg

Last edited:
yep...and a new Rocket...i have this uncontrollable affection for Triumph Rocket 3's...as it turns out!..lol...number 5 now!...and....there is no known cure!!...which pleases me...lol.
I'm hearing ya, I bought a Tiger 1200 but it didnt cut the mustard. so I am on no 4. Still got the R11R as well with 170k on it and still a great ride. Very hard to beat these bikes
How far apart are the 2 holes on the right side, or how long is that plate.

I'm hearing ya, I bought a Tiger 1200 but it didnt cut the mustard. so I am on no 4. Still got the R11R as well with 170k on it and still a great ride. Very hard to beat these bikes
How far apart are the 2 holes on the right side, or how long is that plate.
I did the Tiger 1200 thing too lol..hence the new Rocket now...the holes on the plate are 20mm apart on the plate i redid this morning..i wasnt happy with the one ive shown in the photo...it gives me 40mm clearance from the tyre to the hugger measured at the top of the hugger. This is pretty good clearance now for a 55 profile tyre to go in there. On the other side of the hugger where its attached to the bike, i used a rubber grommet with a hole in it and a longer bolt...you may need two grommets to make the hugger look even with the tyre when you stand at the rear of the bike and look at it.

Back