Hoping to be a Rocket 3 R owner in the near future!

Trae Morton

Standard Bore
Ride
Want a Rocket 3 R
Hello, my name is Trae and I am hoping to be a Rocket 3 R owner in the near future. I have had a Yamaha R6 and a Harley Nighster. But being 6'-4", I needed a bigger bike. I am looking for a big sporty cruiser and I think the Rocket 3 fits the bill. I have an 80 mile round trip commute for work. So reliability and maintenance is a concern. So I will have questions. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome from Montana!

Being tall (6'7") was one of the major reasons I got a Rocket. I wanted something that fit me well but still gets up and goes. It feels like the Rocket was made for us! It's always fun when someone of average or lower height sits on it and has to reach for the handlebars. =)

I also used to commute on the bike, about 20 miles each way. I've found my '05 to be reliable, and from what I understand they learned from some early problems and made solid improvements around '08. Can't wait to see some pics of your new ride!

Welcome from Montana!

Being tall (6'7") was one of the major reasons I got a Rocket. I wanted something that fit me well but still gets up and goes. It feels like the Rocket was made for us! It's always fun when someone of average or lower height sits on it and has to reach for the handlebars. =)

I also used to commute on the bike, about 20 miles each way. I've found my '05 to be reliable, and from what I understand they learned from some early problems and made solid improvements around '08. Can't wait to see some pics of your new ride!

Thanks for the info! It will be a while for sure. I just like to do all the research I can. But I believe I know what I want now.

Curious tho, with regular highway commuting how does it do with tires?

It's largely a reliable bike, aside from a few unfortunate issues that rear their heads for some owners.

I commute about 40 miles a day on my bike. Tires seem to be down to ambient temp, road surface, and throttle control with reports of the stock metz dying as early as 3400 (mine) to some people claiming 8000+:p

with regular highway commuting how does it do with tires?

Tires are a big topic with these bikes. Just assume they'll be expensive and won't last very long, and anything better than that is a bonus. This is not meant to be an exact estimate, but I would start by thinking $250 rear at 5k miles, $450 front and back at 10k. Could be more or less $ and miles, but it's a decent baseline to have in mind. You won't be shocked and may end up being happy.

It's largely a reliable bike, aside from a few unfortunate issues that rear their heads for some owners.

I commute about 40 miles a day on my bike. Tires seem to be down to ambient temp, road surface, and throttle control with reports of the stock metz dying as early as 3400 (mine) to some people claiming 8000+:p

Thx, man that is quick! I would be replacing tires about every 2 months. But it would be mostly good highways and I wouldn't be riding crazy with the throttle, lol. Well maybe at first. Are there alternate tires that would get better miles? I upgraded my Harley from the stock tire and got a few more thousand miles out if it.

Back