I had a new 1983 Magna V65 and then bought a 1984 Sabre V65 new and added the HondaLine Sport fairing with lower. I rode the hell out of the Magna but vey seldom rode the Sabre. Last Spring I decided that the Sabre had been lurking in the back of the garage for 25+ years and decided to get it back on the road. I had the 4 carbs rebuilt, changed fluids and popped in a new battery. Good to go!
It still screams but I can't find a really comfortable riding position for longer rides which is why it only has 2400 mile. I always ride the Sabre with deck shoes and no socks and the right peg is right alongside the engine case - it burns the inside of my ankle so I usually ride it when the weather is cooler...
Despite that, I still like it and I get a lot of comments (and offers to buy) from folks that know what it is.

That's remarkable. I've noted the "footpeg close to casings" on some other earlier Hondas... or maybe it was the early Sabre - I don't recall. I sat on "something" similar that a riding buddy had, some years ago (and it was in running order) and remember thinking, "I don't believe I'd be able to go very far on this"... lol....
No doubt you get offers on it... it's the stuff of an entirely different era, now, and still interesting.

Not to be a wet blanket, BUT all this praise inclines me to offer my experiences for appropriate memory perspective.
Back in 85 - 87, my riding bud bought a new V65 Magna. I was on a 77 1000 Kaw LTD then and it would grease the Magna both in a drag race and especially in the corners.
I spent many hours riding the Magna as we would frequently swap bikes. The V65 was awesome smooth and powerful down low; however, It also handled like crap in the corners.
Its frame would flex at the swing arm first and then, if ya had the balls to continue, also at the goose neck. This condition was WAY worse and happened way sooner than with the Kaw 1000.
The only motor I had ridden that was worse handling was the 85 Goldwing, which I also had for two years. Since 2001 Goldwing has been a great handling motor!
In 85 I bought a 900 Ninja that was head and shoulders above either of our bikes in all respects except comfort. The first day out we traded bikes - the next day my bud traded in his Magna for his own 900 Ninja.
A nice ride for sure - not a performer. Just my 2 cents worth . . .

Your buddy must have got a lemon ! Maybe got a bad valve adjustment. It was critical to have the special tool. I only had mine set once at the dealer and they f'd it up. I used to eat KZ 1000's for lunch with my 900 Z1 at the drag strip. I had a slick and wheelie bar and running in the high 11's. My Magna would run mid 11's with a street tire. As for handling, you are absolutely correct. The Magna felt like it had a hinge in the middle.

Back