SCORING

0 -11 correct: You are not old enough to share the wisdom of your experiences.
[/quote]

Or too old to remember what these experiences might have been:(

Spent my early years near Cleveland,and like sidecar liked the wax coke bottles and do remember horse drawn Ice,and pots and pans wagons and the smell of the roadapples.Trains and streetcars were everywhere and the big thing in Willoughby was a trainwreck in the 50's.I may have some years but I ain't old,dirt could learn a thing or two though. :D

Baggage:

I grew up on the west side of Cleveland, as a matter of fact, just off West 131st, street and, I too remember the streetcars and the trackless trolleys. My favorite pastime when I was a kid was riding the Rapid Transit into the Terminal Tower Station and getting a transfer to ride the Shaker Rapid. I just loved the interurban style Shaker trains.

I haven't been to Cleveland in a long time though I should go there as my dad is buried in WestPark Cemetary. This thread has reminded me to go and see him which I will before the snow flies.

Well, I guess I'm showing my age. I got 18 of them correct. One other thing that I can remember is the 'gas wars' from the 60's. All of the gas stations would lower their prices to get your business. I can honestly remember the lowest price I ever saw posted at one of the gas stations. How about .19c per gallon? Aw, the good old days!

Prices

That's when I bought bulk oil at 10 cents a quart, rode the streetcar using "Mils" for payment. Red was 5 mils and green were worth 10 mils. They were made out of plastic and related to "Mil Levy" taxes in a lot of cities. I remember the ice man's horse drawn wagon and the big thongs he'd use to carry the ice up to your ice box with a big piece of leather on his shoulder to insulate the cold. We had the Jewel Tea wagon, Manor Man bakery truck, a guy would go up and down the streets with a shetland pony and for a fee would set you on the saddle and take your picture. I think that's the last time I wore shaps.

Fuller brush came to your door and the newspaper was thrown by guys riding on the back of a pick up truck standing on a small platform (like the trash guys do) and a railing to allow them to be hands free while wrapping and throwing.

In 1962 was my introduction to "Onion Rings". Oh my ........thought I'd died and went to heaven. I'd drive by the police timing you with a stop watch. That's what those white lines across the road were for. Start the watch when you crossed the first one and stop the watch when you drove over the second one. To little time between and YOU WERE SPEEDING.

1965 I went on a USO tour and remember paying $1.90 a carton and they were wrapped in aluminum foil to help them stay fresh.

Okay, that's enough of that. I'm starting to feel like father time here. It was a more simple time and I'm thankful for that.

I got 16 right. Anyone under 40 or 45 would have a hard time with that test.

My grandma, bless her soul and may she rest in peace, used to give us blackjack gum every time we visited. It was good stuff too bad they don't make it anymore...or at least I never see it.....and I miss the candy cigarettes too. I guess its too politcally incorrect to sell the candy cigarettes to kids cuz it might lead to smoking....but its ok now to sell them extremely violent video games and show what used to be considered vile profanity or **** on prime time tv....oh how we have progressed..

Back