Highest point in the States

Did you go on up? That road comes back down through Evergreen and Red Rocks...not far from Wolf Creek.

Don't recall. As I said, it was quite a few years ago. What stuck with me was the thin air and the cold. Wasn't a planned ride and I didn't prepare for the temp change. Got some relatives in the area, should do it again.

Mt. Evans was a bonus location on Leg 1 of the 2019 Iron Butt Rally. 34 deg in this photo. As I was leaving a blizzard rolled in. Another rider got stuck on the top of the mountain for several hours.

upload_2020-3-23_11-18-58.png

A few years ago I climbed to the top of My Evans, at around 14,250'. That sounds impressive to people, especially when you leave out the bit about riding the bike up to the car park, at about 14,100'.

It is a great ride if you ever get the chance and the weather is cooperating.

The day I did it there was a very early model Indian with 4 cylinders in-line, and exposed tappets which needed oiling manually, also making the trip.

On one of my Mexico adventures (on my Gold Wing) I met a tourist at Gus y Gus bar in Mazatlán who was a biker when home in Colorado but wasn’t riding at the moment. He told me to ride everything in Colorado from I-25 west, so on my way back to Canada I overnighted in Wheat Ridge and rode Mt. Evans the next day (and 2 other 14-ers on my way home). At the entrance to the park, the attendant warned me of the temperature at the top, the wind and that the last mile or two was rough asphalt. When I reached the top, the wind was gusting so hard it took me a full minute to position the bike where I felt it wouldn’t blow over. Can’t imagine what the view from the top of Everest would be but it was seriously impressive from up there! The REAL shocker for me was the cyclists who were riding to the top. When I got the bike settled on its sidestand, a lone rider was just arriving. I walked over and told him “If I EVER need a heart or lung transplant, I want YOURS!” He told me it was his 6th time to ride to the top, and it was the worst weather he’d ridden in. He said he was going to wait for a pickup with space for his bike and get passage down because his hands were freezing and he had trouble working his brakes. Seriously fit group those Coloradans.

My son-in-law and his fellow pilot buddy Bill run-climb to the top of Pike's Peak. They sometimes carry mini Oxygen bottles. They are lightweight and can be purchased outdoor shops such as REI. Our daughter bought me one of the large thermos sized bottles during our visit to her place in Colorado Springs for Christmas. Her home is at 6,200 feet and I was initially have trouble breathing in thinned atmosphere

We rode up Mount Evans a couple of years ago, while the road was good and scenery great it was not enjoyable, between bicyclist riding on both sides of the road both ways and cars taking their half of the road out of the middle not enjoy it. But would do it again.

Back