High low headlight switch

skydog1000

Living Legend
Ride
2009 RIII Classic 1980 Yahama XS1100
I have a 2009 r3 classic that the high low switch will kill the bike some times. I can make it happen if I move the switch from low to high. But some times it will just kill the motor all on its own. Has anyone else had this problem.

G'day Skydog

Mate quite a few rocket have this problem sooner or later.

I have the 2010 roadster, first time this happened my dealer got in touch with Triumph who provided a loom accessory patch cable.

My dealer told me it may be to late to rectify the problem totally. Now I have the same shut down issue's again.

What actually happens in the ignition switch gets fried every time we start our bikes, all the juice goes through the switch, melting and burning the ignition switch out in the process.

I would be getting onto your dealer where you bought your rocket, check if it was in the recall list, hope for your financial sake it is and it will be fixed for free. all as I'm waiting on is for Triumph to supply the three barrels so I can change not only my ignition switch, but seat and fuel tank locks as well.

Also go through this forum and you'll find links to DYI beaver light relay kits, reasonably price around $80 USD, guarantees you never have the problem again.

Its not the selector switch (probably). It sounds like the ignition switch is going out. The headlight power runs through your ignition switch (why your headlights aren't full power) and the heating/cooling eventually allows the switch to fail and strand you. I'd recommend you do the Eastern Beaver kit AND replace you ignition switch (or repair it, there's a thread that shows how to do that).;)

Back