TexasCoyote

TexasCoyote Rides Again
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
I was having issues with my 2012 Rocket 3 intermittently starting. That is a sinking feeling when you are miles from home, no cell signal and the nearest service station is farther than you want to walk. I don't really care to leave her by herself either. I finally figured out I was able to start it while holding the starter button and shifting the clutch handle in/out.

After I returned home I starting troubleshooting the issue. The clutch switch was the issue. I tested this by removing the boot cover on the back of the switch and connecting a test lead to the switches connections. She started right up. At that time I removed the switch from the clutch assemble and carefully disassembled the switch. When I saw how it worked, it all made sense on how it worked. I cleaned the contacts reassembled everything. I have not had any issues since.

I really like how they designed this machine. So far everything I worked on was easy. I also replaced the front and back brake pads. Very easy!

2020_08_29_21_46_20_Window.jpg

As you see in this photo the contacts and the pin complete the connection when the clutch is engaged. When the clutch is engaged the pin extends and allows the contacts to close the circuit.

Short video of switch movement.

I was having issues with my 2012 Rocket 3 intermittently starting. That is a sinking feeling when you are miles from home, no cell signal and the nearest service station is farther than you want to walk.

I hate that feeling.... glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the diagnosis and fix to the problem.

Had same problem. Fixed mine with just a squirt of WD-40 into the switch.
Hopefully you don't have problems down the line, WD-40 is not recommended for anything with electrical contacts, use contact cleaner instead. WD-40 leaves a residue behind.

I was having issues with my 2012 Rocket 3 intermittently starting. That is a sinking feeling when you are miles from home, no cell signal and the nearest service station is farther than you want to walk. I don't really care to leave her by herself either. I finally figured out I was able to start it while holding the starter button and shifting the clutch handle in/out.

After I returned home I starting troubleshooting the issue. The clutch switch was the issue. I tested this by removing the boot cover on the back of the switch and connecting a test lead to the switches connections. She started right up. At that time I removed the switch from the clutch assemble and carefully disassembled the switch. When I saw how it worked, it all made sense on how it worked. I cleaned the contacts reassembled everything. I have not had any issues since.

I really like how they designed this machine. So far everything I worked on was easy. I also replaced the front and back brake pads. Very easy!

As you see in this photo the contacts and the pin complete the connection when the clutch is engaged. When the clutch is engaged the pin extends and allows the contacts to close the circuit.

The switch on the new Rockets are really a bad design.. They are very flimsy plastic with a rough metal edge to catch any rag material
that happens to snag it. It almost looks like an afterthought.. I would bet a tank of fuel that Triumph ends up recalling the new Rockets for it.
It doesnt sound like a safety issue, but if your a couple hundred miles from home and you snag that switch plate and bend it without knowing
your not going anywhere. No start issue for sure.

Sorry to ask. 1st rocket in all my many years of biking, how on earth do you get the switch out, they are usually held in by a screw but I cannot find anything in the service manual how to take it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

regards
Neil

Back