Update: Thanks one and all for your helpful and kind responses, I explored everyones advice and that helped to eliminate and narrow down the possibilities. I got ahold of the lead Tech at my dealer and he walked me through some further checks. Here's what happened in case anyone repeats my mistake.

Before attempting to start my bike I took a damp washcloth to clean the bug guts off the front of the bike from the last ride, this included wiping the front of the brake and clutch reservoirs. Under the clutch lever housing is a sensor switch, small flat and rectangular that press fits 2 tiny pins into the bottom of the housing and has a small metal tang that rests on the clutch lever pivot point. Pull the clutch lever in, metal tang rotates outward and the switch tells ECU the clutch is in, go ahead and allow the bike to start. My cloth caught the tang and pulled the switch down and away so no signal could be sent and bike won't start. Simply pressing the fitting back into place solved the problem.

Several thoughts here, first, this was a self inflicted gunshot wound so to speak in that I caused the problem. I did not know that switch existed and it didn't occur to me to look under the clutch lever. Second, in my opinion Triumph did not do themselves proud by attaching the switch in such a flimsy and insecure way. The pins that hold it are very tiny and appear rubber coated, and the tang is like a metal pocket clip on a cheap writing pen. Not what one would expect on a $22K motorcycle.
So if you're washing your bike with cloth or sponge and get around the clutch reservoir housing beware. I will try and attach a couple of photos but bear in mind I was holding the cell phone with one hand and the small flashlight with the other. I pulled the switch down for clarity sake, it was barely noticeable during troubleshooting. Hopefully I was the crash test dummy on the issue and nobody else with repeat my error. Thanks again to all.

A71550ED-1606-4B97-8A24-F005DCE98B25_1_105_c.jpeg AC86E92E-231E-479E-A62C-6ACB5D13006E_1_105_c.jpeg FD276EC0-29A3-4D40-B4F2-175E58066440_1_105_c.jpeg
Thanks - same issue this weekend and found your post that saved the day!

Back