Help! its still dying on idle -What could be the cause of this failure?

To be fair to GP bikes who I dissed in earlier posts in this thread.... Today they called to deliver my bike back. They found a bit of greenish corrosion on the plugs for the CPU as well as in a couple of spots on the harness under the tank. They cleaned it up and put Dielectric grease in there. They found that the throttle bodies were a little out sync and re balanced those. She now idles perfectly and doesnt stall anymore when dropping from high idle to regular idle when cold. I wont really know if shes back to normal for a few months as we got our first road salting here the other night and once that happens she becomes a garage queen for a few months.
GP may have screwed something up when they serviced it but they did do everything they could to get it right without quibling and it seems eventually did.

So heres the update. Later in day she came back I started her and the problem is STILL THERE!!! Idled for a minute or two then died and cant turn the starter. Surging badly on idle when it does run... Now it seems that the mechanics are at as much of a loss as I am. I love that bike but I am seriously thinking of divorcing it for new Ducati Diavel or similar!! Any help in what to look for next would be appreciated.

I was having trouble with mine at one point, not sure what happened to cause the change, but it would be hard to start at times, decel backfiring like crazy, and overall ran like a bucket of crap. I got it home, re-applied Hanso's tunes for the PCV and the ECU, and that seemed to straighten the bike out and it has since been laying waste to Harley's, ****** Rockets, Mercedes, BMW (cars and bikes), pretty much anything that crosses its path, many people riding their rice steamers have gone home very unhappy, Me and my monster, we go home pretty happy.

That’s the truth, I’m on my third.
OEM perma dead after leaving key in “on” overnight :(
2nd random death for no explicable reason one day, just, dead :(
3rd is a Duracell slightly larger than stock in height has more CCA and has been amazing, clicking it over easily even in sub zero temps.

Rob, have you doubled up the guage of your bat terminal cables?

have them recheck youre service could be out of time after the service (my stupid guess)

What I'm super concerned about now is that they have now brought in their head mechanic who is according to them on the last update "the best Ducati guy in town"....WTF??!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::banghead::banghead:

What I'm super concerned about now is that they have now brought in their head mechanic who is according to them on the last update "the best Ducati guy in town"....WTF??!!:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::banghead::banghead:

Well that makes perfect sense, I mean the Rocket and Ducati are so similar what could possibly go wrong? that would be like me bringing my Acura over to the local Mack Truck shop for a service, "best truck mechanics in town"

Well that makes perfect sense, I mean the Rocket and Ducati are so similar what could possibly go wrong? that would be like me bringing my Acura over to the local Mack Truck shop for a service, "best truck mechanics in town"

Maybe what they mean is that Ducks are so complex that if you can figure those out you can figure out anything?

Well, Ducati engines are the heights of weirdness, but well....heck.....who knows? But if one of us actual Rocket owners got our hands on it. We could fix it for sure!

So lets start pondering how things mechanically work maybe it would help?
ever wonder how the idle stepper motor opens the throttle plates yet the throttle cables do not move? I would think this is a important thought especially when you have two cables one pushes and one pulls?

So lets start pondering how things mechanically work maybe it would help?
ever wonder how the idle stepper motor opens the throttle plates yet the throttle cables do not move? I would think this is a important thought especially when you have two cables one pushes and one pulls?

I gave them a printout of the salient points of the thread on this forum titled"TPS stuff up" that had a lot of good input from you in particular as well as that link you attached :
http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tunes_in_...C_Stepper_Adjustment_A4Rev_02_20120204_EN.pdf

When I spoke to them this afternoon they were still scratching their heads( among other things) and when I asked if they had checked those things I was told that they actually hadn't got to that yet. When I asked what they had done I was told that they had managed to replicate the problem. So my bike has been there for 3 weeks, one weak at a time and they have achieved nothing but watch it idle till it stops.
I have started drafting a letter to the arbitration board here to start proceedings that they replace the entire motorcycle and see if the threat of that gets them to lift a screwdriver to see whats going on. apparently Triumph doesnt have a factory rep who can be called to look at this. I was told that they had spoken to Triumph but that they didn't have any answers even though they had seen the videos.What a crock of crap! I have read a LOT about this problem wherever I could find anything and its not a uniquely Triumph problem but the cure has generally been the same as that which you suggested: Reset the TPS and do an ISCV reset and see where that ends up. The bike runs great when it stays running long enough to get on the highway. Throttle response and power feel normal through all the gears in all rev ranges. It just wont idle reliably and when that fails some or other sensor shuts things down for while until you reset it by switching the ignition on and off. Lucky its freezing cold here or I'd be really pissed! I really do appreciate your input.

Back