Help! its still dying on idle -What could be the cause of this failure?

No part number, it’s the biggest cross reference part from batteries plus.

No adjustments required to the bike (though I took off the underseat snorkel years ago).

Last edited:
I took my bike in for its 16 KM service and asked for a reflash at the same time.
Got it back and rode 30 miles ran great. Filled up with Gas ( with 9 other guys who didnt develop a problem so I know the gas was good). Rode another 70 miles stopping once or twice and starting up with no problem... bike ran great.

Stopped for coffee break, no gas, and when I tried to start the bike the following happened.

Turn the key and gauges sweep and click as normal. push starter and it turned over exactly twice, strongly. At the point the engine usually kicks in... nothing. Tried again same thing exactly... tried again and subsequent times nothing. The gauges sweep and click electrics work but no starter motor. dead. Tried to push start with a couple of big guys.... what a joke, even in 3rd or 4th. but the starter did kick over exactly twice and stopped.

I NOTICED THAT THE GAS GAUGE SAYS 0 MILES TO EMPTY. Open the tank, 2/3 full, close the tank... she starts for about 10 seconds and dies. Try again she starts and revs but gauge still shows 0 miles to empty. Ride about 100 feet and she dies like out of gas. Open the tank again but this time it didn't start. Starter motor didn't even try.

Any ideas?

Ok so today I heard that the agent working on the bike checked the load and the charge rate on the battery and its all normal. Worse than that, after they towed it in to the shop it fired up immediately and has fired up first try every time he tried it.
I took my bike in for its 16 KM service and asked for a reflash at the same time.
Got it back and rode 30 miles ran great. Filled up with Gas ( with 9 other guys who didnt develop a problem so I know the gas was good). Rode another 70 miles stopping once or twice and starting up with no problem... bike ran great.

Stopped for coffee break, no gas, and when I tried to start the bike the following happened.

Turn the key and gauges sweep and click as normal. push starter and it turned over exactly twice, strongly. At the point the engine usually kicks in... nothing. Tried again same thing exactly... tried again and subsequent times nothing. The gauges sweep and click electrics work but no starter motor. dead. Tried to push start with a couple of big guys.... what a joke, even in 3rd or 4th. but the starter did kick over exactly twice and stopped.

I NOTICED THAT THE GAS GAUGE SAYS 0 MILES TO EMPTY. Open the tank, 2/3 full, close the tank... she starts for about 10 seconds and dies. Try again she starts and revs but gauge still shows 0 miles to empty. Ride about 100 feet and she dies like out of gas. Open the tank again but this time it didn't start. Starter motor didn't even try.

Any ideas?

So after towing my bike in on Monday, GP bikes tells me the battery is ok and the bike starts every time on demand. Doesn't explain the dead starter button or the dying after 20 seconds that I experienced on the weekend. I cant trust this bike to just die on the highway and to not get me hurt or worse.
I'm concerned that they started it before they tried to read the error codes that may have been present until they started it and erased the error code.
Ideas?

Hmm, ride locally until the problem recurs or you have regained your trust. Could be a flaky battery connection, if so it will rear it's head if it has not been remedied while investigating the battery. And if there is any problem which has set a code, and the problem did not self remediate it will come back and light the MIL light. Transient codes reset themselves when the issue disappears. Hard codes will stay lit until repaired and reset. And if it's the kill switch or ignition switch, well lets eliminate the easy stuff first!

Hmm, ride locally until the problem recurs or you have regained your trust. Could be a flaky battery connection, if so it will rear it's head if it has not been remedied while investigating the battery. And if there is any problem which has set a code, and the problem did not self remediate it will come back and light the MIL light. Transient codes reset themselves when the issue disappears. Hard codes will stay lit until repaired and reset. And if it's the kill switch or ignition switch, well lets eliminate the easy stuff first!

Appreciate the help Rocketjohn.

Ok so today I heard that the agent working on the bike checked the load and the charge rate on the battery and its all normal. Worse than that, after they towed it in to the shop it fired up immediately and has fired up first try every time he tried it.

So after towing my bike in on Monday, GP bikes tells me the battery is ok and the bike starts every time on demand. Doesn't explain the dead starter button or the dying after 20 seconds that I experienced on the weekend. I cant trust this bike to just die on the highway and to not get me hurt or worse.
I'm concerned that they started it before they tried to read the error codes that may have been present until they started it and erased the error code.
Ideas?

Open up the fuse box, remove the 30 amp main fuse, and make sure the connectors in the fuse box have not pushed out the back. Grab those wires from the back of the fuse panel and pull gently to see if they pop out of place.

My bike did as you described and found out that the connectors was pushing out the back of the fuse box and was making off and on contact with the fuse. Sometimes it would start sometimes not.

I would get the 0 mileage thing as well because the ECU would lose power and re set itself... I think.

I tried bending the tabs out some on the connectors so they would snap in place and stay but that didn't hold up for long.

Bought a in line fuse holder and installed that to the wires instead of wires running into the fuse panel.

All is well now. I have not had any trouble since the inline fuse holder installation.

I don't know what happened but can tell the Triumph fuse box is not made of a very sturdy plastic.

Ideas?

Ive figured out how to replicate the failure! Got the bike back on Friday, rode home and parked for the night. Saturday morning started the bike , and while I was putting on my helmet and gloves it started to surge, idle roughly and died. Tried to start it , same thing turn over once and cut. This happened 3 or 4 times. I shut off the key and tried starting it again. Dead starter button. Tried again, fired up. Once its warm it seems to be OK but as soon as you let it cool down, it stalls out on idle. I took a video of the last time to send to GP bikes. I love my Rocket and it was perfect till they had it for service. Maybe a coincidence that it broke the day I got it back? They couldn't get it to fail in the workshop so I'm hoping that now they can see how to do it they may figure out whats wrong. I have video but its too big to upload here.

Back