Help! its still dying on idle -What could be the cause of this failure?

Allan S

Simple African lad with a Rocket
Ride
2016 Roadster-skunk
I took my bike in for its 16 KM service and asked for a reflash at the same time.
Got it back and rode 30 miles ran great. Filled up with Gas ( with 9 other guys who didnt develop a problem so I know the gas was good). Rode another 70 miles stopping once or twice and starting up with no problem... bike ran great.

Stopped for coffee break, no gas, and when I tried to start the bike the following happened.

Turn the key and gauges sweep and click as normal. push starter and it turned over exactly twice, strongly. At the point the engine usually kicks in... nothing. Tried again same thing exactly... tried again and subsequent times nothing. The gauges sweep and click electrics work but no starter motor. dead. Tried to push start with a couple of big guys.... what a joke, even in 3rd or 4th. but the starter did kick over exactly twice and stopped.

I NOTICED THAT THE GAS GAUGE SAYS 0 MILES TO EMPTY. Open the tank, 2/3 full, close the tank... she starts for about 10 seconds and dies. Try again she starts and revs but gauge still shows 0 miles to empty. Ride about 100 feet and she dies like out of gas. Open the tank again but this time it didn't start. Starter motor didn't even try.

Any ideas?

Battery dead or dying. Load test it. A proper load test by someone who does load testing for a living. It will fail I can almost guarantee.

Even if its less than a 18 months old and had just been charged by the bike running for 2 hours straight? Would that cause it to die even after its running?

Sound like you have a case of the Click Click Blues. Mine seems to have been cured with a new Yuasa. Next, I'm removing the starter to clean the solenoid contacts.

These bikes are finicky but serviceable by the amateur mechanic. For me this is part of the hobby. Thank you to R3 Owners contributors.

Even if, yes. It's unusual but by no means uncommon.

Thanks so much I'll get that checked that first cause its an easy fix. I was thrown off by the fact that I opened the gas tank and then it started, I thought maybe a blocked breather and vacuum build up but opening the tank should have cured that for more than a few seconds of running time.

That’s the truth, I’m on my third.
OEM perma dead after leaving key in “on” overnight :(
2nd random death for no explicable reason one day, just, dead :(
3rd is a Duracell slightly larger than stock in height has more CCA and has been amazing, clicking it over easily even in sub zero temps.

3rd is a Duracell slightly larger than stock in height has more CCA and has been amazing, clicking it over easily even in sub zero temps.

Did you have to make an adjustment to the tray to accommodate the extra height. I dont seem to have enough extra space even to carry a cleaning rag for gas drips under there?

I will be replacing mine soon. Do you have a model number of the Duracell?

Back