BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
Our latest ATGATT conversation got me thinking about how I protect my grape. How often should a helmet be replaced? I know they are good for one crash. Mine has not been subjected to such but it is around 3 or 4 years old. The word affordable helmet caught my eye. What is the best value? I've heard the argument, how much is your head worth? I would like to know what is the best protection for the money. I was trying on helmets at the local Triumph store and I know I need at least a XXXXL. 3X was to small. So that limits my options as well. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

I went cheap... bought this helmet in March and will be happy if I get a year out of it. Construction wise it feels like all the other helmets I've owned that cost $100-$200. I don't see anything larger than a XL, but I'm sure there is a similar one in larger sizes.

http://a.co/9y2tdF2

5 years is the normal life of a helmet per most manufacturers. Not sure why. We just got a couple of HJC Modulars this last year and I really like them. Seems like with the ability to change out the liners they should last longer. I am sure it has to do with the impact absorbing layer in the helmet.

Looks like a good google search for me.

One of my mates has a helmet made from bamboo. Seriously light helmet - he has this as he had a neck injury and normal lids are too heavy. Couldn't tell you the weight of a XXXXL helmet made in abs.

Back