Heated grips question

DavidR3R

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Roadster 2015
How long do heated grips last?

I've got the Triumph oem grips and I know there's a lot on this site about them failing at the throttle cable. Mine have been ok in that respect but I noticed they're very worn and I can just start to see a bare wire on the left grip.

The grips were fitted new when I bought the bike and are 21 months/15000 miles old.

I've never had heated grips before. Is this fair wear and tear? What do you reckon guys?

I'm not sure where you see bare wire, but it is pretty clear the grips are made out of plastic that would make a cheap chinese Tupperware knockoff blush in shame and have an unfortunate record of breakage. I have them too and I routinely carry the stock throttle grip in the pannier and pretty much expect that one of these days I'll be doing some roadside replacement work... unless I get to installing some other type of aftermarket heating kit first.

I'm not sure where you see bare wire, but it is pretty clear the grips are made out of plastic that would make a cheap chinese Tupperware knockoff blush in shame and have an unfortunate record of breakage. I have them too and I routinely carry the stock throttle grip in the pannier and pretty much expect that one of these days I'll be doing some roadside replacement work... unless I get to installing some other type of aftermarket heating kit first.

Yes I carry the stock throttle grip too.

The bare wire is just visible in the middle of the left grip roughly where the palm of my hand is.

Thanks Silli, I thought it was a bit soon for them to wear through but not having had them before I wanted to ask those in the know :thumbsup:

The actual rubber outer grips on mine are quite worn, but not right through.
Methinks I should pre-empt this problem with some sort of wrapping, like people do on squash raquets etc.

That seems too soon for wires to start showing. I have 23K miles on my regular grips and have recently noticed they are showing some wear. Maybe the compound They made the heated grips out of needs to be more plyable and thus wears quicker. Sorry I can't be better help.

I have heated grips on my Touring. Lost the throttle cable 2 summers ago. Triumph replaced them, but I am too nervous to use them. I use my Gerbing heated gloves now.

Doubt I will ride anyhing this am since it is -31 at my house.

Oh my god what a plonker/idiot/knob (take your pick) :(

Turns out the 'wires' were just bits of something that looked like it had come through the grips so false alarm.

The dealer did say the grips looked worn considering the mileage so they'll keep an eye on them anyway.

Thanks to those who replied :thumbsup:

Back