Question regarding Fuel smell

Italianguy069

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
Has anyone parked the Rocket 3 and noticed a really bad fuel smell when you park it in your garage right after you park it after a ride without even opening up your gas tank I notice it, even more, when it has a full tank. I am thinking it is a bad vapor canister.

Not sure of the reason but, no, that is definitely not normal. The vapor canister is a good theory, but not sure why it would go bad so early. I wonder if your vent hose is pinched or clogged if it would cause that? When you open the fuel cap is the tank under pressure?

Yes just a little . I assumed that this was a normal thing for this bike . Does you tank have a little pressure when you open your gas cap after running her for a while?

Yes just a little . I assumed that this was a normal thing for this bike . Does you tank have a little pressure when you open your gas cap after running her for a while?
Very little (during a really hot summer day with a near full tank) to none- not a big whoosh. Maybe start with checking that vent line. Not sure, but you may be able to get to it without lifting the tank up.

Check this thread (could be similar, just not as extreme in your case)....

Very little (during a really hot summer day with a near full tank) to none- not a big whoosh. Maybe start with checking that vent line. Not sure, but you may be able to get to it without lifting the tank up.
Thanks my brother I will check it out and see if it is pinched or kinked . I am hoping that is that simple. If not I am definitely leaning on the Vapor canister.

Thanks my brother I will check it out and see if it is pinched or kinked . I am hoping that is that simple. If not I am definitely leaning on the Vapor canister.
Hope so too- that's a cheap fix. In the thread I linked to above someone cleaned up the gas cap and that was their fix. Anyway, good luck- let us know how it turns out.

My vent line was crushed to the point new hose was needed. Triumph replacement was back ordered so they used better quality BMW hose on it. :eek: or so I was told... :rolleyes:
At least it's not spewing fuel out any more.

My vent line was crushed to the point new hose was needed. Triumph replacement was back ordered so they used better quality BMW hose on it. :eek: or so I was told... :rolleyes:
At least it's not spewing fuel out any more.
Thanks for the information
Thank God I don't have that problem with gas coming out of my tank when I open it but definitely going to check out that vent line and see if I still get that gas smell in my garage .

So far I rebuilt the gas cap and cleaned it out could not find any problems that I could see also removed the tank and made sure the vent line was not kinked but still have a gas smell in my garage after I come back from a ride. I am definitely thinking it's my Vapor Canister at this point considering I only have 10000 miles on it I would have thought it would last longer. Has anybody had this issue?

Back